Which GPS ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
OK so I should have said - at £80 (+£12 for each additional bike) it's less than half the price of a Dakota 20! :whistle:

To be honest - I'm not not prepared to pay a lot for GPS - it'll break or get nicked or fall off into the canal - trust me - I know what I'm like. But if I could get a workable system for less than £100 I'd be interested.

Now - what's this Basecamp you speak of? Does it come bundled or is it an extra?

It is, but it depends what you are comparing it to. The Dakota is more like a small Oregon (a lot of money) or an 800 (a lot of money) without any of the training stuff (especially compared to a H). The old etrexes are exactly that now -old. From a value for money point of view there's a lot to be said about the price changes knocking around. The prices are up in the air at the moment. I doubt the H will go much lower than £51 though, it'll simply cease to be sold. The problem with the eTrex is it seems to be a victim of its own success, it was so good (I own one) that people seem to want to buy the very old models over anything new.

Basecamp is free. However I think you need to use the OS maps (money -actually as pointed out the smaller scale maps are free).http://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/trip-planning-software/basecamp

There are various other more complicated ways of getting things working with macs. If you're talking a budget of strictly of £100 I'd be looking at either the new etrex 10 or the eTrex Legend Vista HCx.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you're really keen on it, there'll be someone here that can help you - many etrex units on this forum or a bit of looking around between us can help solve the mac problem. Garmins are pretty easy to use compared to most other GPS units I've ever encountered (in terms of putting maps and other software on).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You've made some very persuasive posts Colin!
I know that at least 4 CycleChat members have bought cheap Etrex GPS units after reading my posts because they PMd me to say they are very pleased with them! (I must get round to selling the things!)
To be honest - I'm not not prepared to pay a lot for GPS - it'll break or get nicked or fall off into the canal - trust me - I know what I'm like. But if I could get a workable system for less than £100 I'd be interested.
I complain about the cost of the handlebar clamps, but at least they are very solid! I have done many high speed bumpy descents and the GPS has never come loose. You must make sure that you clip it in correctly though - when you have done so there is a reassuring 'clunk' as the catch engages. (It is possible to almost-but-not-quite clip it in so you need to make sure that you hear and feel that clunk!)

Top Bottom