Which headset for ridgeback cylcone hybrid ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miklos

Veteran
HI all

I have an old ridgeback cyclone, its about 10 years old and the headset bearing need replacing,

The one that's fitted has cane creek printed on it. However I don't know which ones to buy.

How do I find out or does anybody know ,

Thanks

raleighnut

Legendary Member
HI all

I have an old ridgeback cyclone, its about 10 years old and the headset bearing need replacing,

The one that's fitted has cane creek printed on it. However I don't know which ones to buy.

How do I find out or does anybody know ,

Thanks
Nip into a bike shop (with the bike or the headset) and say "A replacement one of these please"

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
I've added some photos

Attachments

• 20170216_222603.jpg
    20170216_222603.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 20170216_222608.jpg
    20170216_222608.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 20170216_222817.jpg
    20170216_222817.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 115
  • 20170216_222822.jpg
    20170216_222822.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20170216_222841.jpg
    20170216_222841.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 103
Stock headsets can have a variety of unusual measurements - bets bet is to go to the LBS and ask for a completely new headset.

Otherwise - remove the old crown race on the forks with a flat-headed screwdriver. Get a new headset (which come with a new crown race) with the same ID (internal headtube diameter) which you will need to measure, knock out the old races from the headset, and press the new ones. Make sure the new headset is the same stack height approx and that it is for the same diameter steerer.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Went to the LBS this morning, asked him for some replacement bearings, go a pair for a quid each however they were slightly too big. The old pair OD was 39mm, the new were 40mm. He recommended getting a new headset, the cheapest he had was £20 (only want to spend a tenner)
of internal
The steerer tube is 1 1/8 inch, its not tapered . Is this one likely to fit ?http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-1-18-1-18-integrated-headset-with-alloy-cap/

Couple of pics below of the cups

Attachments

• 20170218_154713.jpg
    20170218_154713.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 94
  • 20170218_154803.jpg
    20170218_154803.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

lpretro1

Went to the LBS this morning, asked him for some replacement bearings, go a pair for a quid each however they were slightly too big. The old pair OD was 39mm, the new were 40mm. He recommended getting a new headset, the cheapest he had was £20 (only want to spend a tenner)
of internal
The steerer tube is 1 1/8 inch, its not tapered . Is this one likely to fit ?http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-1-18-1-18-integrated-headset-with-alloy-cap/

Could of pics below of the cups
No - that is an integrated one - you need a standard 1 1/8th" headset - and cheapest I know is the M part one which is about £12.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
No - that is an integrated one - you need a standard 1 1/8th" headset - and cheapest I know is the M part one which is about £12.
Thanks, can u post a link ?

Haha thought you were giving me a hint, didn't realise 'M part' are headset manufactures

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
http://www.madison.co.uk/products/c...ts/sport-threadless-headset-1-1-8-inch-black/ Is it this one? it looks as through it has cups. Are the cups on my frame removable ? If so how do you remove them ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Spend a fraction more, get an FSA Pig or Fat pig. Nigh on indestructible, easy to service, and good value. Buy cheap, and you'll be buying again before long. They're designed for BMX's and DH bikes so can handle a hammering, and don't cost the Earth. Some people will pay a ton or more for a Chris King that's no better.

Edit - a tenner off here. http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSPIG/fsa-the-pig-headset

I run one on my Alpinestars, and it's proven to be slick and robust.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Spend a fraction more, get an FSA Pig or Fat pig. Nigh on indestructible, easy to service, and good value. Buy cheap, and you'll be buying again before long. They're designed for BMX's and DH bikes so can handle a hammering, and don't cost the Earth. Some people will pay a ton or more for a Chris King that's no better.

Edit - a tenner off here. http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFSPIG/fsa-the-pig-headset

I run one on my Alpinestars, and it's proven to be slick and robust.

Thanks Drago, can I as why you think this will fit my bike ? I'm a newbie to bicycle maintenance

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't be 100% certain without your bike in front of me. However, your bike shop tell you it's a 1-1/8" headset (check) and your photos show that the bottom bearing cup appears quite prominent, so it appears to not be a semi-integrated headset but a traditional Aheadset standard (check), so I'm fairly happy. However, double and triple check those facts before ordering.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
I can't be 100% certain without your bike in front of me. However, your bike shop tell you it's a 1-1/8" headset (check) and your photos show that the bottom bearing cup appears quite prominent, so it appears to not be a semi-integrated headset but a traditional Aheadset standard (check), so I'm fairly happy. However, double and triple check those facts before ordering.

Its deffo 1-1/8" headset, and the top dustcap has aheadset printed on it, will both types fit (semi integrated and external) ? Its a complicated old business so it is :smile:

Thanks or your advice, much appreciated, good bunch on here

wisdom

Guru
My ridgeback supernova's top head set bearing failed.Went to lbs with the cage (or what was left of it).the shop is a ridgeback supplier but he said there are a few possibilities so gave me some loose bearings f.o.c.And I rebuilt it using them but not 100 % happy with it.
No problems but seems to need constant adjustment.
Put plenty of grease in on assembly but would really like to renew with caged sets.
How would I go about it?

Its deffo 1-1/8" headset, and the top dustcap has aheadset printed on it, will both types fit (semi integrated and external) ? Its a complicated old business so it is :smile:

Thanks or your advice, much appreciated, good bunch on here

semi-integrated headsets have the race within the headtube - the headtube is a lot wider to accommodate the bearings. so you have the traditional/external headset where the race is outside the headtube.

Top Bottom