Which helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Percy

Looking for helmet recommendations - light, low profile (i.e. doesn't look like a massive mushroom on your head) and relatively compact, but durable enough to be thrown around a bit on a tour. And doesn't cost too much of a fortune.

Anyone got or used a particular model they've been particularly impressed with?

jags

Guru
check out chainreaction cycles im sure they had a sale on helmet's ,
but don't shoot me if im mistaken.

johnnyh

Veteran
I like Giro helmets, fit my head shape, but it is a case of try on and find what fits you.
(I certainly don't have a Trek shaped head!)

As for the "do you really need one?" merchants, it gets a bit boring and tiresome. Like some mission to brow beat folk into submission whenever the word helmet is mentioned.

Yawn... hehee that is me getting arsey :smile:

If you insist on wearing a helmet get a mountain bike one with a decent visor. Mountain bike ones are marginally more robust and you'll be glad of the visor in a down pour as it'll shield your eyes and/ or eye-wear from the rain.

OP
OP
P

Percy

Heh - I did wonder how long it would take before the anti-helmet brigade arrived. :biggrin:

It's not a debate I've ever really been involved in and nor am I particularly looking to start now - wear one if you like, don't if you don't want to, I don't particularly care. I don't 'insist' on wearing one - I just do most of the time because I've experienced first and second hand the difference between wearing one and not when minor falls/accidents have occurred and in my experience the incidences that involved helmets produced less painful results.

Anyway, I was only looking to see if anyone had a particular make/model they had particularly liked that they recommend I look at...

Anti helmet? Moi?

andym

Über Member
Percy said:
And doesn't cost too much of a fortune.

That's the nub of the problem. My theory is that helmet manufacturers make lower-priced helmets that look rubbish on purpose so we fork out more money.

Anyone got or used a particular model they've been particularly impressed with?

I've been using a Specialized d2 for a few years now (although it used to be called the decibel). It's light and comfortable. Whether it looks stylish I don't know, but Specialized are one of the few firms who test their helmets to the more demanding Snell standards. You can get spare liners. Specialized also offer a crash replacement programme so that if you do crash into something head first you can get a replacement (helmet rather than head) for half price.

Oh and it comes with a (removable) peak.

But it ain't cheap I'm afraid.

johnnyh said:
I like Giro helmets, fit my head shape, but it is a case of try on and find what fits you.
(I certainly don't have a Trek shaped head!)

As for the "do you really need one?" merchants, it gets a bit boring and tiresome. Like some mission to brow beat folk into submission whenever the word helmet is mentioned.

Yawn... hehee that is me getting arsey :sad:

As boring as the "You really should wear a helmet" posts?

ComedyPilot said:
Helmet....?

You'll be fitting mudguards next..........and growing a beard.

[runs for cover]

and ......

sandals-and-socks.jpg

willem

Über Member
The American standards are a bit more demanding than the European ones, but most helmets are made to comply with both standards, so you are unlikely to go wrong there. The best helmet is the helmet that fits, and you are the only one to judge that. So go to a real shop, and try them. Personally, I need an extra large size, and the special oversized Giro GXL is the only one that will fit my big head.
Willem

OP
OP
P

Percy

andym said:
That's the nub of the problem. My theory is that helmet manufacturers make lower-priced helmets that look rubbish on purpose so we fork out more money.

I've been using a Specialized d2 for a few years now (although it used to be called the decibel). It's light and comfortable. Whether it looks stylish I don't know, but Specialized are one of the few firms who test their helmets to the more demanding Snell standards. You can get spare liners. Specialized also offer a crash replacement programme so that if you do crash into something head first you can get a replacement (helmet rather than head) for half price.

Oh and it comes with a (removable) peak.

But it ain't cheap I'm afraid.

Thanks andym - I shall have a look at them.

Top Bottom