Which hub in new front wheel build?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickNick

Going to get my LBS to build me a new front wheel either later today or mid week (depending on how long today's last minute xmas shopping takes). When I had a chat with the guy last week he recommended either going for a Shimano 105 or a Hope hub. From what I recall the Hope hub would add roughly £30 to the build and uses cartridge bearings. Is the main benefit of the cartridge bearings that the hub will last longer and can therefore be reused on future wheel builds when the rim is worn? Do you think its worth spending the extra money on?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hope.

the snail

Guru
Cup and cone hubs need adjusting/lubing periodically, but can go for long mileages once done, cartridge hubs are maintenance free, until the bearings need replacing, but this will probably be more frequent than maintaining the cup and cone hub. Also the shimano hubs are forged rather than machined from billet, which is stronger. Personally I'd go with with 105, good hubs ime, well sealed and very reliable if adjusted/lubed well.

Tangoup51

Cup and cone are for people who can do maintenance and are good at it. - If you neglect Cup and cone service you will permanently damage your hub, where-as you will never really damage your hub with riding on worn sealed cartridge bearings.

But just remember these pointers if you go for the shimano..

1) When QR is tightened, Any play (no matter how small) must be dealt with as soon as possible.

2) Aim to achieve a very tiny bit of "play" in the bearings (or incredibly loose and smooth feeling) when the wheel is off and without QR tension.

3) Excessive "grumbling" or "rough and grabby" feel of the bearings must be addressed and will typically be caused by either excessive QR tension or a pitted hub.

Crankarm

Guru
Hope Pro 4.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pro-4-mtb-front-hub-15mm-axle/rp-prod145292

Or if you are not so flush the Shimano 105 front hub will do fine, just keep it well greased.

Top Bottom