Which hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

red devil

Will be obtaining a new bike some time in the spring when my employer gets the cycle to work scheme (i.e. cyclescheme) up and running. Wanted a Boardman, but Halfords don't use cyclescheme, bah! I have narrowed it down to something like Specialized Sirrus Sport or one of the Giant CRS series and others similar, maybe GT Tachyon. Any advice on other suggestions or comparisons between the aformentioned much appreciated!

Incidentally the bike will be almost solely for my commute - mainly road with some track, about a mile or two of towpath type stuff. Sports hybrid would seem the best choice - I like to push it a bit for a fitness ride!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
HYBRID Commuter

I use a Trek Valencia for commuting and general use.I originally wanted a Sirrus Sport but felt more at home on the Trek.

Its a nimble hybrid bike running on Bontrager racelight 32 tyres.The tyres are great on the road and ok for tracks and towpaths that arent too rough.Mechanical disc brakes
100milebikeride009.jpg
are easy to maintain and stop you quite well.

I did my first 100 mile road ride on it.Hope to do my second century in the spring.
100milebikeride011.jpg

Attachments

• 100milebikeride009.jpg
    100milebikeride009.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 100milebikeride011.jpg
    100milebikeride011.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 33

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I bought a Giant CRS Alliance for exactly your reasons and it's now my lightweight social bike. It really isn't up to rough stuff, I have a couple of miles of un-maintained roads, and I'm laden down with panniers etc. It's great fun for unladen weekend rides though. My commuter is now a steel frame hub gear bike with big tyres and a Brooks saddle. It's slower, 50% heavier but a great deal comfier for laden riding and rough stuff. This is especially true when you get tired, I took on a long commute(20 miles each way) and, start to end, the differences were marked. Heading off on the Giant in the morning was great, by the time I was nearing work I'm sitting heavier in the saddle and starting to really feel the bumps. Heading home in the evening things got worse. When I switched to the heavier bike, accepted my fitness had improved, the difference in ride quality was marked. The steel really soaked up the road buzz and, coupled with the big tyres, few of the potholes were a concern.

I really like my Giant but, as I was sourcing a commuting rather than fun bike, wouldn't have bought it with hindsight. Plus you don't half feel fast and light at the weekend after a weeks commuting on a tank:biggrin:

OP
OP
R

red devil

Thanks for the comments, I guess it's a case of weighing up the comments/options, making a choice then paying your money and taking a chance! Everyone is different and as such may have alternative opinions. Incidentally, I understand the point about using a heavier robust bike for a laden commute - mine is 10 miles, not too long but long enough if things aren't quite right. I am using my trusty 16 year-old Raleigh Mohawk - weighing in at 20 kilos, it is far from a quick commute but good for fitness/strength building (!) and feels robust as it copes with the lumps and bumps some of the less smooth parts of the journey. I would like something quicker although I did my first London/Brighton this year in four hours on this - can't be too bad.

Thanks for the help - no nearer a decision, but at least I have a few moths to mull it over!

Brandane

Legendary Member
As you say we are all different, but if I was in your position and looking for something that can do roads and a bit of track/towpath, I would be considering the bike I recently bought... Specialized Tricross. Bit of a compromise but a good all rounder. I have had mine for 6 weeks/300 miles and I love it. It was featured in this months "Cycling Active" magazine when they did a comparison test against a Surly Cross-Check and a Kinesis Crosslight. It didn't do all that well, but both the competitors are £300 more!

smarttim24

I have a Trek 7.3fx which i obtained through the CTW scheme have been commuting and pleasure riding with no problems for six months know.Something a bit lighter look at the Trek 7.5fx

MattC

Über Member
+1 for the Trek Valencia and especially good Racelight Hardcase tyres. I ummed and arrgghhed for ages and am really glad I chose the trek. Only thing I've changed on the bike is the peddles (for clipless spd) and saddle (for Brooks B17), other than that I really can't fault it and would definately recommended it.

I really wish that people in the cycle industry would stop using the term 'hybrid'.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mickle said:
I really wish that people in the cycle industry would stop using the term 'hybrid'.

what would you suggest they use as descriptors Mickle? Not mocking here am genuinely interested as I find the existing descriptors quite confusing as they're not applied with any level of consistency.

OP
OP
R

red devil

Yes, agreed - the descriptions can be confusing. Thought I wanted a flat bar road bike at first, apparantley not! Classifications seem to vary from supplier to supplier, sports hybrid in one place can be a flat bar road in another. The more I search the indecisive I become!

Thanks all for advice.

Top Bottom