Which is the greatest bicycle innovation in the last thirty years?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
+1 for the kiddie trailers and LED lights.
For me the WEEride and better built kids bikes, anything to make family cycling more enjoyable,
I do also like seeing how cargo bikes are getting better and more popular

numbnuts

Legendary Member
glueless patches :thumbsup:

zizou

Veteran
On the road probably sti shifters, but it is probably a smaller jump in innovation compared to the leap forward in mountain biking that hydro disk brakes and improvements in suspension that has happened in the last 15 years or so

Steve Malkin

Veteran
My top 3:
1. The freehub - allowed bikes to have more than 6 sprockets at the back without bending axles all the time,
2. Clipless pedals - hard to imagine going back to clips and straps now.
3. LED lighting - a quantum leap better than the pathetic old lights we used to use.

On the other hand some things where we've gone backwards...
  • Silly push fit bottom brackets ( we've all been conned into thinking they're better, but it's just the manufacturers doing it for cheapness)
  • Fugly bikes with sloping top tubes (just wrong), plastered in stickers to make them look like advertising hoardings.
  • Non-serviceable parts that you need 'special' tools to replace

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Helmets. We all look far more stylish nowadays and nobody gets hurt falling off their bikes.

U

User6179

Gotta be brifters .

booze and cake

probably out cycling
In MTB defo disc brakes, and tubless tyres/stans slime. I think disc brakes on road bikes is the next biggest improvement on road bikes, and we're starting to see them now.

In road cycling, index shifting.

Top Bottom