Which is the greatest bicycle innovation in the last thirty years?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The almost universal use of allen head bolts, or socket head screws, on bike components.

U

User169

[QUOTE 2748632, member: 259"]The Scottoiler!:becool: :rolleyes:[/quote]

tumblr_lftaoeH8Xx1qz99fl.jpg

400bhp

Guru
The Nobber - invented prior to 1980 in the form of rather uncouth wording. Innovated and updated in c.2012 by a Mr Noodles Noodley of CycleChat.

I stopped cycling around 1986 & started again around 2006. The most noticable differences for me are decent LED lights & indexed shifting.

Longshot

On the other hand some things where we've gone backwards...
  • Fugly bikes with sloping top tubes (just wrong), plastered in stickers to make them look like advertising hoardings.

Well, someone has to say it...

Nope, can't agree with that. The sloping top tubes look way better. IMO. YMMV. ETC.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 2749562, member: 30090"]Recumbents becoming more mainstream, we are the Lords of cycling. Ergonomically sound, works with the mechanics of the human body rather then against, you can draft uprights but they cannot draft you - what's not to like?[/quote]

Recumbents.:whistle:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The most noticeable improvement has been sti shifters on the brakes. Between an old fashioned racer from the 80s and something from this century has got to be these for me.

Top Bottom