Which Kindle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
i need to get a Kindle so I can read at night without disturbing Mrs J if I use my kindle app on iPad apparently it is too bright. On the kindle paperwhite I think you can read it in the dark without it throwing out much light, is that the same with the HD versions of kindle and what is the difference between wifi only and the alternative?
Thanks
jogger

Katherine

Guru
Definitely get a paperwhite. I read it on low whilst not disturbing my husband who works shifts.
As you already have an ipad, you will only need the Internet to get new books and update the software, so WiFi will be all you need unless you're away a lot but even then most places let you log on to their network.

hoopdriver

Guru
Another vote for the Paperwhite. I had an original Kindle which I liked, but I was given a Paperwhite and it just blew me away. I am actually getting rid of some of my old printed books as it is so much more convenient to have them on the Kindle and the actual reading experience is the same.

hoopdriver

Guru
THat would have been my philosophy until I got the Paperwhite. I never dreamed I'd be such a convert. You can get about two weeks' use on a single charge (no need to bring chargers for a short holiday, for instance) and the faint glow from the screen is much less than the bedside lamp.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Buy books. No need for batteries and it won't disturb the fragrant Mrs Joggers beauty sleep.
Er, how will having the light on to read a book disturb her less?

if I use my kindle app on iPad apparently it is too bright
Select night view (white text on black) and turn down the screen brightness: it then throws out much less light than a Kindle.

THat would have been my philosophy until I got the Paperwhite. I never dreamed I'd be such a convert. You can get about two weeks' use on a single charge (no need to bring chargers for a short holiday, for instance) and the faint glow from the screen is much less than the bedside lamp.
+1 (and ideal for cycle touring).

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Er, how will having the light on to read a book disturb her less?

Select night view (white text on black) and turn down the screen brightness: it then throws out much less light than a Kindle.

I couldn't see a setting for night view. It's an iPad 2 so maybe it doesn't have it?

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I got the new Voyage which I love but not cheap, the paperwhite is great though and the brightness can be adjusted to a very low or bright level.

The 'night view' on my kindle app is in the settings which can be found at the top right indicated by the symbol "Aa"

Change color to black, thats on the android but I find it hard to believe that the mac version wont do it.

[Edit] http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/5740/kindle-for-ipad-change-the-view-options-for-better-readability/ here with pictures

Top Bottom