Which Lid ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Got my first sportive approaching and was thinking about getting a new helmet. Currently own a £10 job from sports direct :headshake:.
Would probably spend up to £50 which would be a significant improvement on the uncomfortable piece of crap I'm wearing now.
Any good suggestions ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Mine come from Decathlon.
I can tell you that I have personally tested it. Tumbled down going down a hill at about 30 miles an hour and hit the head on the tarmac. I survived but later found that helmet was cracked. So I have personally tested it and it survived a crash. I have replaced it another one from Decathlon.

Cyclist33

Can't give advice as it's one of those things you need to test for the fitting. Different ones have different fitting systems. 50 quid will get you a decent helmet so just go to your local bike shop and try them all on around your budget.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Not all helmets are created equal. You would be best advised to seek a helmet which meets the strict SNELL standards.
The EN1708 standard required to sell helmets in the UK is considered to be an exceptionally poor test, it is the same standard used to certify helmets for use with skateboards

Got my first sportive approaching and was thinking about getting a new helmet. Currently own a £10 job from sports direct :headshake:.
Would probably spend up to £50 which would be a significant improvement on the uncomfortable piece of crap I'm wearing now.
Any good suggestions ?

Uvex Ultrasonic - can be had for just over £50 online.

siadwell

Guru
As Mr H says, the Snell testing is more rigorous. As far as I'm aware, Specialized is the only major name that Snell-certifies its helmets.
Having said that, I have a Giro Savant and am very happy with it. Its shape fits tall and narrow (chrome dome) heads like mine.

Don't get too hung up on test standards. At the end of the day, it's a piece of polystyrene covered with a plastic shell - it's not the space shuttle. A correctly fitting helmet which doesn't conform to SNELL standards is going to offer much more protection than a poorly fitting helmet that does.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm struggling to see the relevance of that statement, tbh.

I see it as a statement questioning the quality of the certification itself.
A cycle can have an accident with a vastly higher impact speed than a (non stunt) skateboard as such I question if the impact tests for one are suitable for the other.
The EN1708 is the only standard used for cycle helmets which is also used to certify helmets for non stunt skateboards. Why are no other standards used to certify cycle helmets used to also certify skateboard helmets?

Top Bottom