Which Lid ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Whichever helmet you buy please don't wear it tilted backwards like i see so many do(especially tv presenters!:headshake:)!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a giro skyline. Cheap and cheerful. It does the job and you can buy it at Amazon. Only cost about £20.00
I use the same for commuting,good lid for the price.
Mine come from Decathlon.
I can tell you that I have personally tested it. Tumbled down going down a hill at about 30 miles an hour and hit the head on the tarmac. I survived but later found that helmet was cracked. So I have personally tested it and it survived a crash. I have replaced it another one from Decathlon.
And I have the road 7 for the weekend

simon.r

Person
I recently replaced my old Bell helmet with one of Decathlon's own branded. I'm impressed with it so far - comfortable, fits well and easily adjustable when wearing (or not) a buff beneath it.

vickster

Legendary Member
One that fits. I have used a Giro Indicator, a Specialized Echelon and now I have a Cannondale Teramo. All look equally rubbish on me but do keep my hair a bit dry in the rain :thumbsup:

Go to a shop, try some on, buy the one that you like / looks least rubbish

OP
OP
Doyleyburger

Doyleyburger

Veteran
And remember to do up the straps unlike a yoof I saw yesterday, kind of defeats the object if it's going to fly off!
Ha ha 'a yoof'

Popped into my least favourite bike shop last Monday (begins with H ) and tried a few on. Tried many, but the one that felt the most comfortable was in fact the boardman at £79.99.........although it might look a little strange having a Giant bike and a boardman helmet !

Friend of mine has a giro helmet, not sure which model and although very light, I didn't find it that comfortable.

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at the Echelon, it'll keep Mr H happy being SNELL certified, not that it says on the helmet, although I am not overkeen on the look as it ists very high on my head, the C'dale is better (I think)

I am in the happy position that none of the bike brands I ride also demean themselves with helmet production :biggrin:

I see it as a statement questioning the quality of the certification itself.
A cycle can have an accident with a vastly higher impact speed than a (non stunt) skateboard as such I question if the impact tests for one are suitable for the other.
The EN1708 is the only standard used for cycle helmets which is also used to certify helmets for non stunt skateboards. Why are no other standards used to certify cycle helmets used to also certify skateboard helmets?

The EN1078 helmet standard is hardly worth the paper it is written upon. In the US it is not recognised for sporting use and even in the UK, some organisers state higher standards. UK Cycling events for instance state that helmets must comply with:
t is mandatory that all riders wear a safety approved cycling helmet complying with latest ANSI Z90/4 or SNELL standards.

The other thing to note is that most other testing standards recognise these differences, Snell, ANSI, ASTM, CPSC all have separate standards for skateboards for this reason

Snell is considered to be the toughest to pass and also tests helmets "off the shelf" as opposed to batches produced specifically for testing

When buying a helmet:

Fit
Comfort
Snell certification or at least ANSI certification
Looks
Cost

And remember to do up the straps unlike a yoof I saw yesterday, kind of defeats the object if it's going to fly off!

There is evidence that some of the more modern helmets with "snag points" (sharp angles caused by aerodynamics or ventilation) will also cause this to happen even when the straps are done up.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't believe this was the case. I reckon he thought it looked cool. He may even have been riding with no hands. Dude yoof

Top Bottom