Which lights are best ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wbmkk

Veteran
Thanks to Santa I have some money to spend on my bike, sorry two bikes now. (road bikes, or as I still call them racing bikes)

I already have lights on one of them, but they were just cheap ones.

I regularly see cyclists riding around with super bright lights, which seems to be the best policy. I am therefore asking which lights folk here would recommend.

When I say best, I probably mean decent / above average quality, taking into consideration the price.

Thanks in advance for any replies ... and Happy New Year to All

Citius

Perhaps you could tell us how much money santa gave you?

(Congrats on posting this ten times, by the way)..

OP
OP
wbmkk

wbmkk

Veteran
Perhaps you could tell us how much money santa gave you?

No set figure really ... anyway, how can you put a price on personal safety. Maybe £60 / bike

Congrats on posting this ten times, by the way

Sorry ! Don't know what happened there. It's not as if it was my first posting here.

The major question is, lights to be seen by or to illuminate a dark road?

I only ride in urban areas, so the answer to your question is ..'to be seen' maybe a brighter light to the rear would be the best option. There's probably more chance of being hit from behind that from the front, so in my situation the rear light is probably the more important of the two.

DRHysted

Guru
GCN recently did a you tube video covering this. I can't remember which ones they used but they looked pretty good.
Personally I use Dyno-Hub lights, but 90% of my riding is on unlit rural roads so I need to perfect beam pattern the Germans produce (plus it's way above £60 a bike).

Write a list of what YOU need

Bright - lots of power consumption so big (often separate) battery pack
Long burn time - lots of power needed

There is a compromise to be made

In my case a battery life of 3 hours (Two way commute and an hours backup for detours or emergencies) as my first requirement

Tim Hall

At that price point and for mainly urban riding, my favourite is the B & M Ixon LED. In fact you can pick them up for a frugal seventeen quid plus shipping from Rose.de. It's a small battery powered (3 x AA cells) light, with the option of USB charging, so I can charge it from my laptop at work if neeeded. Two power settings, 10 lux and 25 lux. A good beam shape, putting the light where it's needed and not where it isn't. You can buy it as a package with a charger and rechargeable cells for a few quid more, but as I've got a suitable charger already I didn't bother.

For the rear I use a Smart 1/2W LEd job. Mine has two outer flashing LEDs and a central fixed one. Powered by two AAA cells, it runs for ever.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
B&M, Axa or similar. Don't be duped into buying illegal dazzling lights. It's not clever to dazzle motorists who can kill you ...

MOD Edited

Last edited by a moderator:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have been using one of these for a while,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstor...759384?hash=item3ab9e2ead8:g:gaUAAOSwiLdV-7Gg
I ride nights down a few unlit country roads, i have this pointed towards the ground about 8ft in front of me, Brilliant little light for the money, As for dazzling motorist those helmet lights are good for that, But then most light will dazzle motorist if they are pointing in the wrong direction.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I allways have 2 lights on the back so if one stops working or rattles off I still have one.

The thing about not having bright rear lights only really applies to group rides.so long as there not angled up into peoples eyes go as bright as you like.if other cyclists dont like it theres a simple solution.

Tin Pot

Guru
I have been using one of these for a while,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solarstor...759384?hash=item3ab9e2ead8:g:gaUAAOSwiLdV-7Gg
I ride nights down a few unlit country roads, i have this pointed towards the ground about 8ft in front of me, Brilliant little light for the money, As for dazzling motorist those helmet lights are good for that, But then most light will dazzle motorist if they are pointing in the wrong direction.

Ah yes, the very ones that burned a man's house down in another active thread here on cc.

Top Bottom