Which lights are best ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Do you want to explain?
There are some reports of them exploding or catching fire, especially the unfused chargers.
Best advice seems to be to charge them in a metal container and not to leave them overnight or unattended.

A few of us have our own battery packs, much safer I reckon and should last longer.

DRHysted

Guru
I started off with the cheap eBay lights, but tended to go through 2 sets per winter, as the road vibrations weaken the electrical contacts. It really is not amusing when you'll flying down a hill over 20mph and the light switches from full power to strobe!
Before going Dyno-Hub I got a magicshine http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/bike-...j-816e-1800-lumens-wide-angle-bike-light.html which I still use on the MTB. I also use 2 http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-microfrnt.php#.VomxMI_XI9w on the Roubaix, which do a reasonable job.
Remember my commute is predominantly rural roads with no additional lighting at silly hour (4 am for day shifts, 5am for nights).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you sure its not misinformation put out by competitors because these lights are cheap and work well.
Yes, we're sure. Too many cyclists I know exist have reported problems for them all to be in the pay of competitors. Even without dead/firey batteries, they only "work well" if you think dazzling oncoming road users is working well!

potsy

Rambler
Mine have been fine and dont dazzle at all you can put them on a very low setting and angle it downwards.I hear what your saying but disagree with the dazzling. I would get another again.
You are wasting your time trying to convince certain posters on here, like you I have mine on low most of the time and angle them down to stop them from dazzling.
The power is always there ready if you ride on unlit stretches or trails like I used to.

I do however have a backup light in case of failure, but have only needed it once in over 3 years of using these lights.

mjr

You are wasting your time trying to convince certain posters on here, like you I have mine on low most of the time and angle them down to stop them from dazzling.
I could say the same, but I think it's worth contradicting the dazzling boil-shaped light advocates who seem in denial about how awfully anti-social they're being, to try to avoid them convincing newcomers. And do you really aim your light so the top of the beam is below the horizon? I have never seen anyone ride with a boil tilted that far down.
The power is always there ready if you ride on unlit stretches or trails like I used to.
Those lights might be useful for serious off-road MTB trails, but they're unnecessary for unlit stretches of road where a flattened-A-shape beam is sufficient.

Jody

Stubborn git
And do you really aim your light so the top of the beam is below the horizon? I have never seen anyone ride with a boil tilted that far down.

Well below. I aim the top of my beam at about 25-30 feet in front and the hot spot about 8 feet in front of where I am riding. My Avatar was in the first few weeks of riding, with that light and batteries still working fine. The beam is now lower and gives me enough light to see on an unlit downhill at nearly 50mph.

mjr

mjr

I think people are entitled to their opinion really and newcomers can make an informed choice themselves.
I don't think whether a light is dazzling is as much a matter of opinion as the boil light fans think, and newcomers can only make an informed choice if alternative viewpoints are expressed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
@mjray you assume that a dynamo light can not be badly adjusted and dazzle, whereas I find my friend's light can be annoying, and it has also failed when the cables became damaged, which she has had repaired but she also uses a supplementary set of lights with the Dynamo set that came on her German bike.

Both Dynamo and other lights have advantages and disadvantages, and it is for the person who wants to buy them to decide which most meets their needs or in the case of my friend both:smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Unless you want to ride out in the countryside, and need lights that show you the way ahead, you really don't need to spend anything like £60. £15 will buy you these, which I've been using a couple of years now. They're plenty bright enough, batteries last ages, and probably most importantly, the brackets are really sturdy - the brackets are always the weak link with any really cheap lights.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
For a standard urban commute - One of these for £24 will do just fine. I bought one from the same seller last week. I also purchased a fluxient U2 Mini but that is way too bright for the roads even when dipped.

I have had my usual assortment of cheap £5 ebay cree lights but i want something which has solid specs rather then some power rating thats unproven. Many of you will know or have heard of TorchyTheBatteryBoy also and he does some pretty good kit.

potsy

Rambler
My illegal light this morning, lighting up the trees :whistle:

20160104_060805.jpg

Top Bottom