Which mitre saw?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Decking, cladding, general DIY. Would be nice if it came in a fancy box for storage.

I'm not made of money.

Off topic ramblings welcome.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I had a package deal from ebay last year with mitre saw and cutting stand. It so helps when building in the garden for decking, pergolas, kitchen, planter boxes........i paid around £100 for the both, its not a known name but certainly does the job

this is just for the stand, but i had a deal on both together

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I bought a nice DeWalt one some 15 years ago, still going strong and used frequently. £300 well spent. That said, if it's not going to work hard, you can get what seem to be reasonable quality compound slide saws for £100 or so.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not a cheap one. What constitutes a cheap one is anyones guess....£30, £50, £100 ?
I have a cheap one, its throat is small so it cant cut thicker pieces, I struggled with cornice when doing my kitchen, too thick to make a single pass cut....and also the accuracy is carp. Do 2x 45 degree cuts...and they dont mate up properly.
Talking to a colleague who does lots of side work...yup he said, that what you get with cheap ones. You really need to spend and get a branded, respected make.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought a Dewalt DW700 twenty years ago for a big contract and it's still going strong. A really great bit of kit but quite pricey. I was surprised at how clean a cut it gave compared to our 10" table saw. It was discontinued a while ago but the DWS774 has a roughly similar specification. It costs about £250 which is a lot less than the DW700 was all those years ago. Have a look at the DWS774 reviews on YouTube.

Good luck.

davelincs

Another vote for de Walt, I’ve had mine for 10 / 12 yrs, still going strong, it cuts accurate angles , the only thing that lets it down is my measurements 😀, no it’s a very good bit of kit, well worth the money

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks all. Those de Walts are nice I'm sure, but anything north of £200 is stretching the budget a bit. There's a second hand Makita on ebay which looks OK, I'll check it out properly later if it hasn't gone. What's everyone using re blade size, and what's the difference between a siding or a compound saw or whatever?

I have a makita ls 1013 that was made in 1994 and is still going strong, the older makitas are better made
used every day for business use in construction.

I have also a Dewalt dw 780 for bigger cuts.

both are a joy to use

Last edited:
Thanks all. Those de Walts are nice I'm sure, but anything north of £200 is stretching the budget a bit. There's a second hand Makita on ebay which looks OK, I'll check it out properly later if it hasn't gone. What's everyone using re blade size, and what's the difference between a siding or a compound saw or whatever?
A sliding saw pulls out and cuts on a rail system.
A compound saws feature blades that pivot left and right for angled cuts and tilt in a single direction for beveled cuts

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
A sliding saw pulls out and cuts.
A compound saws feature blades that pivot left and right for angled cuts and tilt in a single direction for beveled cuts
So the sliding saw can do wider cuts then? I'm looking at a non-sliding one with a 10" blade which can do 5" cuts, does that seem like it would do?

Top Bottom