Which mitre saw?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
It lives. Relatively sand free and now with some fresh grease in the gearbox. No horrible grinding noises that I can detect as yet. Time to initiate a 'no power tools in the sandpit' rule I think.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Am I the only person left who uses a mitre block and manual saw?
On occasions. and I also have the same contraption as @slowmotion .
But sawing well and accurately for jointing is a skill I find needs to be practiced - and I don't get enough practice. I recently bought a 5" circular saw which improved things noticeably, but needs a guide to be really accurate (and that takes a little faff to set-up). This hopefully will just be simpler to set-up and use, cleaner more accurate finish and less time consuming...I may be wrong!

Broadside

Guru
I think I have this one, https://www.screwfix.com/p/evolutio...e-bevel-sliding-compound-mitre-saw-230v/2965v cuts everything we've thrown at it including 3mm steel box when we made the flatbed recovery truck
I’ve got this one as well, it has been superb doing DIY jobs. The laser guide on it is also very handy for getting cuts exactly where you want them and ends up saving you time.

D

Deleted member 26715

I’ve got this one as well, it has been superb doing DIY jobs. The laser guide on it is also very handy for getting cuts exactly where you want them and ends up saving you time.
It does, after owning it for 5 years & always being disappointed in the laser, my son took the protective cap off it, it's much better now :laugh::laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got an Evolution one - no stand, but fits on the workstand fine. Cost about £100 and I'm still on the original blade. Mainly cutting timber and decking, but have occasionally used it to cut steel.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I use those for plaster coving. Before getting the Dewalt, I used a Nobex frame saw which was extremely good. View attachment 582553

Mind you a proper Nobex saw is likely just as expensive as a Bosch blue or equivalent pro grade lecci saw.

My Uncle always wanted a Nobex saw but couldn't quite bring himself to spend the money, then one day he saw a near identical looky-likey one at a very good price indeed so he bought it. He tried making a picture frame but it was ever so slightly on the piss and the unit was essentially useless. He took it back, gritted his teeth and bought the Nobex which was spot on.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Decking, cladding, general DIY. Would be nice if it came in a fancy box for storage.

I'm not made of money.

Off topic ramblings welcome.

Whilst I do have a mitre saw, before you spend the dosh, have you considered if a track saw might be more versatile ? A track saw is a hand-held circular saw linked to an aluminium rail to guide it. It can do mitres and angles etc too. Its key advantage is that it can do long cuts. I think Festool (a top quality but brutally expensive make) originated the idea, but Makita, Bosch and so on do them as well now at somewhat closer to a sensible price. Mine's a Festool and I think it's the best bit of kit I've ever bought - ie the track saw idea, rather than Festool wonderfulness.

View: https://youtu.be/xu85MUZwga0

Basically you can do long cuts as well as a lot of the the stuff a mitre saw can do, albeit the mitre saw is quicker and easier for short cross cutting. The track saw isn't really suitable for anything narrower than maybe a skirting board - I can't see it being useful for, saw picture frames.

I built these using the track saw, including the dado grooves on the sticky out side pieces (don't have a router), bearing in mind none of the angles of the alcoves are square.

E67457F1-381A-4E7F-93C8-435E3CA7597E.jpeg

I built a second (simpler) set in another room by which time I had the mitre saw as well which made the cross cuts a lot easier and quicker, but I still needed the track saw for the long cuts.

My mitre saw is a "sliding" type which allows maybe 10" width of cuts. A pure "chop" saw would only do 4 or 5", albeit you can flip it over and cut from the other side.

Whilst I'm a bit of a gear tart having bought Festool kit, even if you don't want to go to that extremem, there's still a lot to be said for buying "trade" or "pro" level quality - Bosch blue, Makita, Hitatchi etc as I'm unconvinced that the various Wickes own brands and the like are going to be up to
much (prejudice not experience admittedly) as I simply don't believe you can make a high precision tool for the money - and a mitre saw needs to be precise or it's only good for cutting firewood

To sum up, I probably do use the mitre saw more than the track saw, because of convenience for some jobs, but if I had to choose only one or the other, I'd take the track saw, as it can do nearly everything the mitre saw can, but also long straight cuts too.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
+1 for track saw, but it’s for a different type of job- long straight cuts.

brilliant for taking a bit off the bottom of a door or ten if you have installed thick carpets.

mine came from Aldi, and was a bargain

Top Bottom