which mudguards for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Are those flimsy ones called race blades or something? Which ones are best? They are all pretty much the same right?
I need to fit on bianchi for winter so thinking of getting these at 4.30 am ...hmmmm...anyway...which ones worked for u last year?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the flimsy cruds on my Giant but don't like them, only thing that fits. Others are happy and they weigh nothing. Raceblades are popular but wouldn't fit my bike.. I'd get the longest and most solid ones that fit the bike which can be a challenge

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have the flimsy cruds on my Giant but don't like them, only thing that fits. Others are happy and they weigh nothing. Raceblades are popular but wouldn't fit my bike.. I'd get the longest and most solid ones that fit the bike which can be a challenge
vickster i got the giant specific ones for my defy 4 and they fit easily and are very sturdy, have you tried them??

Linford

I've stuck my old race blades back on my bike. They do the job well enough and far better than a wet bum, but are a fiddle to align so I am reluctant to take them off. I can't get a regular set of mudguards on my bike due to the lack of clearance between the wheel and frame/fork

DWiggy

Über Member
I had cruds on my steely and they were great, I didn't have any problems with them at all, but unfortunately on my new bike they don't fit so have been thinking about getting some race-blades as my feet get soaked even with overshoes on (didn't happen with the cruds)

vickster

Legendary Member
vickster i got the giant specific ones for my defy 4 and they fit easily and are very sturdy, have you tried them??

Nope, not yet...may well change bike so no point right now

And it's not like I ride in the rain if at all avoidable anyhow :whistle:

Tyke

Crud Road Racer mk2 are great but no good if you are on anything more than 23mm

Tyke

Thanks for that just going on other posters complaining of rubing never had them on anything other than 23 but no problems with them

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That depends on clearances. I have Crud 2s on my winter bike in preference to 'proper' guards and I probably have enough clearance for 28s, although I only run 24s at the moment.

Mine rub on 25s and however much I fiddle and try to adjust, I just can't get them to sit evenly

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
If you want the best mudguards for a bike that's not designed with clearences then I think you will be hard pushed to beat this...

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raceblade-long-road-racer-franken-guards.120748/

SKS raceblade long and a the front mech protector from Crud.

Buying a set of each will be prohibitively expensive, but some ebaying could see you right.

I could get 25s on without too much rubbing, but when it was wet the clearences are reduced due to mud build up.

23s are no problem. I had a set of Vittoria Pave 24 that also fitted without too much rub.

DrLex

merely the moocher
Anyone want to recommend some wide, solid 'guards to replace SKS commuters which have broken (again). Metal might be best - running 35mm tyre & happy to adjust guards to fit with the trusty junior hacksaw.

Top Bottom