Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giant

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Canyon

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Cube

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All frames made in China but while Merida, Canyon and Cube are outsourced to 3rd parties, Giant at least has the decency to have their own factory - out of the four they're also the best for making bottom brackets that are actually round.

Merida is a big manufacturer probably second only to Giant in reputation for quality, they are a big OEM supplier to many brands although nowadays only the higher up models as Merida aren't as competitive in price as they used to be. Top end Specialized's would be typically Merida as they are linked financially. I think Merida bailed out Specialized and got some shares in the process but not sure how much of Specialized they own nowadays. Canyon were using Quest Composites for their carbon fibre frames and forks a while back but not sure if they still do as do Trek. They are a poor factory in my opinion with poor working conditions as well as inconsistent quality. Giant used to make some of the Canyon aluminium models but not sure if they still do. Cube are fairly low quality in my opinion using lower end Bangladesh factories typically. I think from a quality of frame and forks viewpoint then Giant and Merida are at the top.

https://www.thedailystar.net/business/news/germanys-cube-teams-meghna-make-high-end-bicycles-1632277

Really though as consumers we never know what factory-less brands are up to. They will keep moving to different factories to save money and those factories can vary in quality that is why there is more consistency to brands like Giant and Merida. For all I know Cube could have some of their higher end models made by Giant or Merida, its very difficult to know which is why I prefer to use actual manufacturers rather than glorified importers unless its a killer deal for the spec maybe an end of season large discount.

The big manufacturer behind many bikes we see especially aluminium is fuji-ta, the world's biggest manufacturer by far they make bikes for a huge number of brands. Probably middle ranking quality. In the EU we mainly get bikes from their Cambodian and Vietnamise factories nowadays because of EU tariffs applied to bikes from mainland China. Anyway they are the real manufacturer behind many western brands that many consumers focus on. Another big player is Insera Sena in Indonesia. There are maybe 5 huge international manufacturers who dominate a large chunk of the world bike market but then you have the importer brands that resell these bikes under their own brands.

You only have to watch Hambini or Luescher Technik videos to see how western brands cheap out on factories with some very expensive bikes made to appalling tolerances.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWhsXSa_csk

Alex321

Veteran
They all look like decent bikes for the price. Personally, if riding will be almost entirely road, I would discount the cube because the highest gear is rather lower with the GRX than with the 105. But if you are happy with that, Cube are nice bikes - I have a different model and love it (but it was almost twice the price you are looking at).

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

They all look like decent bikes for the price. Personally, if riding will be almost entirely road, I would discount the cube because the highest gear is rather lower with the GRX than with the 105. But if you are happy with that, Cube are nice bikes - I have a different model and love it (but it was almost twice the price you are looking at).
Thanks, so are you saying the Cube, with the GRX will be better for low end i.e. climbing than the 105 equipped bikes?
I'm more about good gears for hills and decent flat speed, rather than balls out speed on the flat.
Sorry if I'm missing your point. :blush:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Will the MTB focussed GRX set up be as smooth and slick as the road focussed 105?
I'm all about smooth and slick, and less about clunky, clickyness!

vickster

Legendary Member
the Cube takes fatter tyres though which might be off interest if also riding off road or if the road surfaces are particularly awful round you! The Giant is more road oriented

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Will the MTB focussed GRX set up be as smooth and slick as the road focussed 105?
I'm all about smooth and slick, and less about clunky, clickyness!

The GRX is really aimed at the gravel market AIUI, not MTB so much. BUT the GRX400 is more equivalent to Tiagra than to 105 - it only has 10 speed cassette, and I note it uses Tiagra shifters. So it may be slightly clunkier.

Thanks, so are you saying the Cube, with the GRX will be better for low end i.e. climbing than the 105 equipped bikes?
I'm more about good gears for hills and decent flat speed, rather than balls out speed on the flat.
Sorry if I'm missing your point. :blush:

Yes. The lowest gear on the Cube is 30 (front) x 34 (rear), while on the Giant it is 34 x 34.

The highest gear on the cube is 46 x 11, while on the Giant it is 50 x 11. Even on fairly gentle descents you are more likely to spin out on the former than the latter - but that is really about personal preference.

Alex321

Veteran
I could be wrong but I think 50/34 on the Giant is lower than 46/34 on the Cube. 50/34 is pretty low.
Also, the Cube takes fatter tyres though which might be off interest if also riding off road or if the road surfaces are particularly awful round you! The Giant is more road oriented

It isn't 46/34 on the Cube, it is 46/30 at the front. And both have 11-34 cassette.

The Cube has a lower top gear (46x11 vs 50x11), and a lower bottom gear (30x34 vs 34x34).

It really does depend on personal preference which is better.

vickster

Legendary Member
It isn't 46/34 on the Cube, it is 46/30 at the front. And both have 11-34 cassette.

The Cube has a lower top gear (46x11 vs 50x11), and a lower bottom gear (30x34 vs 34x34).

It really does depend on personal preference which is better.
Yep I was wrong and changed my post. Got the numbers for the front muddled. I realise both have the same cassette

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, go sit on a giant to confirm, I am 5ft8 and medium fits perfectly

I meant the Cannondale (but also goes for the Giant). I'm surprised that a man at 5'8 would be a size small on any flat bar (as with short legs, his reach should be relatively greater due to longer torso)

Top Bottom