Which products to degrease and lube chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Okay guys, I'm new to serious cycling and still learning a tonne from the forum.. one on maintenance..

Moved my bike in to the house to fit a pannier, and heard this noise like sand / grinding coming from my chain / rings. Definitely aware that its non-rideable in this state.

Upon closer inspection, the bike's chain is absolutely submerged in a sludge of oily, gritty substance.

Now, since the bike was new in March, its been oiled once in April and since then I've been using a £1 shop 'bike chain lube' spray thinking this was fine but it seems to be picking up dirt and not performing very well, lesson learnt...

I'm going to get into Halfords this week to get some cleaner and lube for the chain and drive train components. Out of these two sets, which do you advise I buy? I know they'll both probably do the job, but if this was your money. Also, my chain is probably beyond the normal level of dirt given that crap I used and shouldn't have :-(

Muc-Off Kit - these guys must have a large marketing budget! see their products everywhere.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/muc-off-wash-protect-and-lube-kit

Bikehut Cleaning Bundle
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/bikehut-cleaning-bundle

I've also realised to get between the cassette I'm going to need one of these brushes, thought this would be sufficient: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-cleaning/bikehut-gear-cleaning-brush

I have promised myself the chain will never get this bad again. Raging as its stopping me from my evening cycles during the week!

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I use this and an old toothbrush. I take the cassette and chain off and clean them in a foil dish. Rinse, re attach then lube the chain.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

I use this and an old toothbrush. I take the cassette and chain off and clean them in a foil dish. Rinse, re attach then lube the chain.

Looks powerful and industrial, would it definitely be fine to use on my bike chain and not too strong?

Garry A

Calibrating.....
You can dilute it but I use it neat and the chain is fine. Don't think I'd get it near my frames paint work though :stop: I'm sure there are others on this site that use the same stuff.

As for lube I use Finish line dry (red label) when its dry and Finish line wet (green label) in rainier times. Derailers get a spray of GT-85 being careful to avoid the braking surfaces.

Last edited:

Danny B

I use the Muc Off chain cleaner and this works very well, spray on and leave for 5 mins then wash with warm soapy water and sponge rinse off and spray water repellent on leave, to dry and lube. Then rag off the excess lube which helps stop the chain getting dirty to quickly again.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Thanks guys, i'll collect the opinions of anyone else who comments then on tomorrow or Friday I'll make my purchase. Might get some before and after pics on the go, it's in some state!

wonderloaf

Veteran
Re the cleaning brush, go into Poundland and buy yourself a couple of washing up brushes for quid, I find they work just as well. Also clean in between the cogs of the cassette with the edge of a rag. With the money you save put it towards the lube, I've just bought some Muc-off dry lube and am quite impressed how well it works, the mech is running very quietly now!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I mostly use degreaser, household brushes and rag, but I do like having a fancy £2 one of those claw brush things for hoiking dirt out from between the cogs and around the jockeys without breaking bamboo skewers so much.

Then to lubricate it, I either use common-or-garden TF2 or finest Italian extra virgin dry lube depending on the bike ;) and the mickle method (use the search).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Was the pound shop spray lube the little 3 in 1 things @cycle_bug? If so, then it's not that bad, but you still need to clean the chain sometimes if it's not in a case and I think most liquid lubes are better. The spray lubes can be good for putting on wet chains to expel the water after a rainy ride.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I use some degreaser made by mucc off - Id recommend buying a chain cleaner made by mucc off or parktool just to make life a little easier. all you need to do is run the chain through a few times after spraying it with degreaser and let the tool do the work.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

These are the two culprits of the damage caused already, will get one showing the sludge..

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom