Which products to degrease and lube chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Could a chain cleaner (as recommended by a few of you) actually shift that kind of grit? Also, then what about the cogs, general Muc-Off Drive Train cleaner for that?

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Here's the dirt..

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 56

Ajax Bay

Guru
Depends how much you've ridden it in 3 months. If you're commuting on it and riding it at weekends you could have done 1000km. I've done 3500+km in that time and just replaced the chain a second time.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Depends how much you've ridden it in 3 months. If you're commuting on it and riding it at weekends you could have done 1000km. I've done 3500+km in that time and just replaced the chain a second time.

No more than 400 miles, but more than 300, not every day, but every week or so

Ajax Bay

Guru
Id recommend buying a chain cleaner made by mucc off or parktool just to make life a little easier
Could a chain cleaner (as recommended by a few of you) actually shift that kind of grit?
Strongly recommend you do NOT buy a chain cleaning tool like this. Most people who do, including me, use it once only: ie never again.
About chain stretch - probably hasn't but you might decide it had, if you get my drift. Abracadabra: a nice clean chain; to keep cleanish.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Strongly recommend you do NOT buy a chain cleaning tool like this. Most people who do, including me, use it once only: ie never again.
About chain stretch - probably hasn't but you might decide it had, if you get my drift. Abracadabra: a nice clean chain; to keep cleanish.
What's wrong with a chain cleaner? Agree that one of these wouldn't cure the OP's problem but once it's all been cleaned up proper like wouldn't using a chain cleaner once in a while stop it building up again? In between uses of course you should try to keep the cassette/chain/chainring clean using whatever method you favour.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

I use mine every time i clean my bike and ive never had a problem.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I use mine every time i clean my bike and ive never had a problem.
Must admit I don't use every time, but once in a while (cos I'm lazy). In between I use the mickle(-ish) method.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm not a believer in degreasing chains. Clean em with a rag by all means, and with fresh oil, cleaning and oiling as per the "mickle method". I just use car engine oil but virtualy any light oil is fine.

Why remove oil, especially from inside the rollers where it's hard to get oil back in. Degreasing is messy, and I'd argue worthless and maybe actively detrimental. Chains are cheap enough - and anyway, basic oiling is all they need

I concurr with some of the above folks in that I used a chain cleaning bath only once before selling it on ebay.

speccy1

For me, paraffin. I bought a gallon, about 15 years ago for £5 or so and still have half of it left, best chain cleaner going, I can`t be doing with "citrus this" or "perfumed that" for stupid money, paraffin works.........period. Might mean getting ones hands mucky, but tough, look up rule number 5:smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

I use white spirit and a paint brush if it gets too dirty, most of the time a wipe with a rag then lube is sufficient.

Top Bottom