Which products to degrease and lube chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
It's clean?!

I already used half the can of degreaser, I don't think it can be cleaned much more?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's clean?!

I already used half the can of degreaser, I don't think it can be cleaned much more?
Now what you need to do is follow this regime.
http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=349&subjectId=9

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Next time I do the process I'll use a rag and wipe down ,interesting that the outside of the chain doesn't need any lube as it just attracts dirt.

I applied to the rollers only hoping the outside would be fine without lube, that article confirms I did it right in terms of lube-ing the areas I needed to. Just to give it a clean up with a rag now seems sufficient.

I must add, the cogs are black normally and the chain is dark grey metal... no matter how much I clean it it'll never be shiny gold like some of the chains on you guys fancier more premium bikes than mines :P

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Next time I do the process I'll use a rag and wipe down ,interesting that the outside of the chain doesn't need any lube as it just attracts dirt.

I applied to the rollers only hoping the outside would be fine without lube, that article confirms I did it right in terms of lube-ing the areas I needed to. Just to give it a clean up with a rag now seems sufficient.

I must add, the cogs are black normally and the chain is dark grey metal... no matter how much I clean it it'll never be shiny gold like some of the chains on you guys fancier more premium bikes than mines :P
Not on the majority of my bikes :giggle:, there is only one with a 'posh' chain on it.
The trick is not to let the crud build up too much. :whistle:

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Not on the majority of my bikes :giggle:, there is only one with a 'posh' chain on it.
The trick is not to let the crud build up too much. :whistle:

Yeah, that's where I screwed up! Plus that cheap lube I used was a spray, covering every (even the unnecessary parts) of the chain in sticky dripping oil ,attracting dirt and dust.

A lot of my commutes are in nice nature-y areas where plant buds etc stick, i notice them stick to my whele.. no way my chain is spared from it!

Just need to keep up the regular maintenance of the chain!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah, that's where I screwed up! Plus that cheap lube I used was a spray, covering every (even the unnecessary parts) of the chain in sticky dripping oil ,attracting dirt and dust.

A lot of my commutes are in nice nature-y areas where plant buds etc stick, i notice them stick to my whele.. no way my chain is spared from it!

Just need to keep up the regular maintenance of the chain!
5 minutes once a week, pump the tyres up and have a good check over the bike while you're at it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
OK, we'll call it "The method formerly known as the Mickle Method" to save your blushes.

Some people! Develops and promotes practices that saved an entire generation of cycle chains then gets all coy. ;)
To be fair he only told people how to do something from years ago, before all these chain cleaning dooberries were foisted on unsuspecting affluent 'newbies' who were told "You need to buy one of these"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I never use de-greaser. Just lube up the chain, and wipe and wipe more with rags. Any gunk inside the links can be removed with a small screwdriver, or a brush. Don't let it get that dirty again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
OK, we'll call it "The method formerly known as the Mickle Method" to save your blushes.

Some people! Develops and promotes practices that saved an entire generation of cycle chains then gets all coy. ;)

A comparison I've made before, but Prof Higgs is terribly embarrassed by others' choice of name for the eponymous boson. But if it had been called the Kibble boson, Kibble might not have missed out on the jolly to Stokholm. Funny how these things go.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I never use de-greaser. Just lube up the chain, and wipe and wipe more with rags. Any gunk inside the links can be removed with a small screwdriver, or a brush. Don't let it get that dirty again.
Same here, degreaser can do more harm than good if you're not careful. A slightly dirty chain is better than a dry one.

Also clean in between the cogs of the cassette with the edge of a rag.!

+1
You need no chemicals of any sort to clean a cassette.

Nor do you need, gid forbid, to bother removing it as suggested eksewhere. Old shirts are good as the "rag" as the hem on the edge provides a good non fraying edge. I have been using for a few years an old torn up london skyride bib. The cassette is magically designed to almost clean itself. As you "saw" back and forth between the sprockets the cassette advances itself. Takes no time at all. Also, of course, you don't want degreasers anywhere near your hubs. Grease is good.
In truth you need minimal chemicals to clean a bike, just use a bit of lube, a cloth and wrist action, asnthe ** said to the ***. The only exception is the chain, and the screwfix stuff sounds like a good suggestion. Bikes are often very simple if you avoid the marketing hype for wonder products. (Like the "gear floss" i saw in a shop once. So, an old shirt or someone's old underwear.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Do the actual cogs need lube or are they fine to be 'dry' so long as the inner chain rollers are well lubricated?

Top Bottom