Which products to degrease and lube chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
On the block, pretty much an entire can of GT85, it removes all the muck instantly.

I then, wipe it with small cloth strips and soak it in soapy water then leave it to dry off thoroughly, to ensure all the degreaser has evaporated or been wqshed off. I commute, so buy cheap two piece blocks and so cannot separate all the sprockets and clean them individually

On the chain, generally wet wipes, then the Mickle method of ever cleaner, dry cloths. I often leave the chain to soak in a tilted (so that the grit falls away) bath of clean motor oil...then Mickle once more.

for lube, just standard or ceramic chain oil, one drop per link on the lower chain (so that the oil starts on the inside of the chain, and soaks to the outside), followed by a wipe of a cloth

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So to clarify, nobody is recommending either of the products on my first post?
sorry, no.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
The mucoff/bikehut products in your original post are just fancy labelled de greaser, chain lube and another version of GT-85. The bike cleaner in the large bottle can be substituted for soapy water or some wet wipes. I use the screwfix degreaser because its about £6 for 5ltrs.

Buy one of the packs, use it and see how you get on.

Yes, your chain is a disgrace go to the naughty step :laugh:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Jizer industrial degreaser in an ultrasonic bath, then many rinses in detergent/water solutions, and then just water. Then I stick the chain in the oven at about 70C for an hour or so and re-lube with FinishLine green, one tiny drop per roller. I do that about once every1500 miles, and just dribble in oil when it looks a bit dry otherwise.

The sludge that is left in the ultrasonic bath is quite a sight, and the chain comes out gleaming silver.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wash my chain after each ride the same way I wash the bike, using car wash/wax.

Wipe, and lube with GT85 - nothing else.

Chain always looks clean - from the outside - and runs silently.

My 'little and often' method needs to be done after every ride, which is fine because I ride once or twice a week.

Were I commuting, I would come up with a different scheme.

As regards cleaning the OP's chain, a stiff brush, Swarfega hand cleaner and a rinse would do it.

Kind to hands, not ridiculously expensive, and the OP could use what's left over as, er, hand cleaner.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
These are the two culprits of the damage caused already, will get one showing the sludge..
Never heard of 'em so I won't comment!

I'm not a believer in degreasing chains. Clean em with a rag by all means, and with fresh oil, cleaning and oiling as per the "mickle method". I just use car engine oil but virtualy any light oil is fine.
I found that car engine oil held dirt and splattered black like nothing I've used before or since (riding conditions here are silty and sandy) so I do prefer the bike-specific preparations.

I'm not a big fan of degreasing but sometimes a chain has picked up so much shoot that I can feel it in the flex even when the surface looks clean, so it seems the kindest thing. I do use GT85 and a rag a couple of times before lubing and riding, in the hope the GT85's solvent will carry some lubrication back into the rollers.

I concurr with some of the above folks in that I used a chain cleaning bath only once before selling it on ebay.
Mine's on the shelf after a few uses and a chain replacement after fewer miles than usual.

My 'little and often' method needs to be done after every ride, which is fine because I ride once or twice a week.

Were I commuting, I would come up with a different scheme.
Any suggestions? I ride once or twice a day, so cleaning after every ride probably isn't going to happen.

For bonus points, one of the bikes has a full chain case, but I'm tempted to switch to a hockey stick because I can't see the chain's condition and that is actually quite annoying if anything goes wrong!

Anyone seen swarfega on offer recently? I'm almost out.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Any suggestions? I ride once or twice a day, so cleaning after every ride probably isn't going to happen.

None that you won't have thought of.

Seems to me there's a lot to be said for a hub gear on a commuter.

Fewer cogs and less chain to keep clean, and I reckon the always perfect and higher chain line means a hub gear chain lasts longer, however you look after it.

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
None that you won't have thought of.

Seems to me there's a lot to be said for a hub gear on a commuter.

Fewer cogs and less chain to keep clean, and I reckon the always perfect and higher chain line means a hub gear chain lasts longer, however you look after it.

Is it easy to convert a standard derailleur bike to an internal hub gear bike?

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

Purchases Muc-Off Degreaser and Muc-Off Wet Lube, as well as a 50p dish brush from ASDA at lunch time.

Not for the want of ignoring everyones advice, but because it's the most conveniently available but competent looking stuff that doesnt require waiting until Monday to get. Don't wanna be off the bike for much longer, haven't been on it since Saturday now which is too long!!!

I will post a photo and some before / afters later :-)

OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

This is the result guys!

I'm pleased. The degreaser displaced the dirt amazingly, with big black falls of dirty liquid coming right off.

The chain now spings quietly, and the pedals spin themselves for ages after spun whereas before they stopped due to the friction.

I think I did well?

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0914.JPG