Which Shimano MTB SPD Cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goggs

Guru
Hi folks I'm using Shimano M540 SPD's and my shoes are by Specialized but they're old so I can't remember the model. They're comfortable though so no problems there. Wher I am having problems is when it comes to releasing my feet quickly. It's not a problem when I decide to stop myself but there's been a couple of occasions recently where Pedestrians have forced me to put a foot down in a hurry, with varying degrees of success.

My cleats are Shimano SM-SH51's which came with the shoes. Now I've heard that there's a newer cleat called the SH56. Apparently they're multi-release and should make getting my foot down just that bit easier. I assume cleats wear out over time anyway so if it's time to replace them perhaps the multi-release version might be the ones to go for.

Can anyone vouch for them and tell if there really is a difference between these & the ones I already have?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

13 rider

Guru
I use multi direction cleats upgrade from standard cleats and get on really well with them .As I rode for over a year with the standard and got used to unclipping cant really say there a massive difference .I use the cleats that came with the pedals and upgrade as and when . With multi directions cleats you can just yank them out in an emergency but you can't beat anticipated the need to unclip if in doubt approaching a junction or pedestrians I tend to unclip one foot

jim55

Guru
I use the 56 multi release and they are brill , they feel pretty secure , however. , they WILL release if u pull up on the pedals but in normal use they feel exactly the same as the 51.
Iv used them for commuting for a while and they have only uncipped once when I was seeing how much pressure it took to release from upstroke / sideways is rolling ur foot to outside ,they hold pretty firm but they do release under pressure ( hence the multi release bit ), I think they are great and they are ideal in traffic stop start,when u might need to release /stop immediately .
They're far better than flats but not as intimidating ( for some ) as the other kind ,

vickster

Legendary Member
SH51 for me, what I've always used. Tried the sh56, didn't get on with them, indeed had my only clipless moment (new shoes, cleats worked loose, couldn't unclip), so they are in the parts box somewhere in disgrace

Others get on fine with them. I'm just perfectly happy twisting my ankle to unclip, muscle memory is a great and peculiar thing :smile:

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
Thanks everyone. The thing is I've loosened the pedals as far as they'll go but I'm still having problems releasing. Maybe they've worn out, they are nearly ten years old after all. I'll go for the 56's and see how I get on.

Also, some may have noticed that I also started another thread because I'm also considering flat pedals. However that idea took a knock yesterday when I went out on the bike using the supplied bear-trap pedals and found my right heel occasionally clipping the rear chain stay. That never happens with the SPD's.

jim55

Guru
^^^^yeah , for me this is the advantage , ur feet don't move about and won't slide off( like on flats sometimes) but u can unclip in a hurry if needed

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I decided to tighten up my SPD's today. Only by two notches (from minimum tightness) but what a difference it's made. IT would seem that although I have less leeway on the pedal that translates to quicker release when I really need to. Result!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I use sh56 on my mtb ..but i have very poor rotation of my ankle joints ,so being able to snap out with the 56's is a plus..
using flats after spd's is just weird..jelly leg feeling,feet constantely searching for a comfortable spot..

OP
OP
G

Goggs

Guru
I use sh56 on my mtb ..but i have very poor rotation of my ankle joints ,so being able to snap out with the 56's is a plus..
using flats after spd's is just weird..jelly leg feeling,feet constantely searching for a comfortable spot..

Yes, that's exactly how it feels. Using SPD's I don't really think about my feet at all until I have to stop.

Top Bottom