Which shoulder do you look over?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it makes sence to check over my left then I will still check over my right as well as I just couldn't complete a manouvre without checking it was clear.

When I am a passenger in a car and I can see the driver is going to need to change lanes I still do it (check my blind spots). Just totally instilled in me for so many years. I wouldn't even trust mirrors.

col

Legendary Member
So we're agreed then, we use both shoulders and look where we need to?:laugh:

GrasB

Veteran
Recently neither... I just deflect my eyes slightly down & to the left or right. It's getting to the point it's disconcerting riding my uprights because they don't have mirrors. As for which shoulder. Depends on the situation, road positon & the road it's self.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It depends where you are in the road and what the situation is.

It should be mostly your right as you have a better view of the whole road behind you and you dont have much of a blind spot.
When in primary, I still look over my right, but when going around a left hand turn or corner, I will look over my left (as I have been taught).

As I say, it depends on the situation and what feels most comfortable for you. Drivers are more likely to see you loking to your right than your left.

fimm

Veteran
Mostly right - which is a problem as I was born with slightly poor vision in my right eye and even with contact lenses my peripheral vision on that side isn't very good. I have to get my head a long way round. So under some circumstances I will look over my left shoulder as well (eg if I am about to turn left and I think there's a risk a cyclist could be coming up on my left).

Top Bottom