Which size of tyre would you go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes i've thought about that. Have you ever called them out? If so what are they like, do they come out asap and are their any hidden extra costs in their service offered?
No because I've not needed to. I've only had to fix punctures at home

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
do they come out asap

I've never used the service but I bet they would take longer to get to you than it would take to fix the tyre yourself.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never used the service but I bet they would take longer to get to you than it would take to fix the tyre yourself.
They don't fix anything, they just arrange a taxi to get you home, to a station or lbs. you still have to fix the puncture. It's an alternative to walking or the bus (what buses take full size bikes?) if you have an unfixable issue. I don't always have puncture repair stuff and I'm not going to personally do a roadside repair in the cold/dark/wet. I'm happy to pay the £18 to be a wuss

Any other mechanical is beyond me other than a dropped chain and I've even struggled with those

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
They don't fix anything, they just arrange a taxi to get you home, to a station or lbs.

I know that. My point was about how long it would take them to reach you. If you can learn how to perform minor roadside repairs yourself, in most cases, you'll be on your way again before the rescue service has a chance to get to you, with the added benefit of not having your ride curtailed. It may not be fun changing a tyre in the cold and wet, but it's no fun standing around in the cold and wet waiting for a taxi either.

In any case, to get back on topic, it's a moot point if the OP fits Durano Plus because he won't be getting any punctures. And that's a fact.

Size-wise, I think some people are overstating the difference between 23 and 25 in terms of comfort, but it is true that Duranos tend to come up larger than advertised, so if your frame only has clearance for 25mm tyres, they might be a tight squeeze (I went from 25 back to 23 on my bike because there wasn't room to fit the RoadRacer mudguards with 25s, and tbh, I don't notice a huge amount of difference - Durano Plus are not the most supple tyre anyway and even in 25 are relatively uncomfortable compared to many other tyres at the same size). For a really noticeable step up in plushness, go to 28 if your bike can take them - and current thinking is that rolling resistance is actually improved with a larger volume tyre, for various scientific reasons that will probably be debunked in a few years time...

Last edited:

bikeman66

I'm still wondering why the OP can't/won't fix a puncture by himself....
Pick one of three reasons. Lack of ability to do it, not willing to get hands dirty or just plain laziness. Let's face it, in most instances a roadside repair is as simple as putting a new tube in and fixing the old one when you get home. Doesn't come any easier than that, surely!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3957573, member: 9609"]try some 28mm, they will increase your rolling resistance sufficiently enough to stop you gaining on roadies on light carbon bikes when descending big hills[/QUOTE]

For the rides i go on with the group i AM using 28 mm tyres!

outlash

also available in orange
Still wondering.....

outlash

also available in orange
He's obviously not going to answer your question so why not drop it?

Not everything needs to be explained or justified on here you know :okay:

You don't think it's a bit rich asking about tyre sizes when he can't even be bothered to put them on himself?

The OP has plenty to say on other subjects yet when it comes to answering a simple question about his own apparent complete lack of maintenance skills he clams up. TBH if you can't or won't deal with even the most basic of problems on your bike, it doesn't make you much of a bike rider in my book.

Whether a bike rider maintains his/her own bike is up to them, surely? Plenty of people out there are happy to offer that service, and it keeps them in a living.

I'd rather people got on their bikes than got intimidated by the snobbery of "real" bike riders who think they should fit their own tyres.

As it happens, I fix my own bike, but I rarely fix my car or house. Do I qualify as a "real" car driver or "real" home owner?

outlash

also available in orange
So you don't think even being able to fix a puncture or do basic repairs to get you home if something goes wrong isn't a little irresponsible? Catch a puncture in the middle of nowhere? Walk for miles just to get to some kind of landmark so you can get picked up? Er, no.

We're not talking brain surgery here y'know...

Top Bottom