Which size of tyre would you go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

The TPI is to do with the construction of the tyre, it's got nothing to do with puncture protection.
You learn something new everyday!

fossala

Guru
If my current bike was 700c I would ride these http://www.velovitality.co.uk/collections/700c-tyres/products/grand-bois-cerf-blue-700c-x-26-tyre
I cycle in Cornwall so it may be different in cities but whatever tyres I use I tend to get around 1 visit a year, my last one was on Saturday riding over glass. On day rides and commuting I prefer to have a comfy fastish tyre than something than feels like a tank. On a tour though I move over to something like 42mm marathon supremes.

EDIT: I'm currently using these http://www.velovitality.co.uk/collections/650b-tyre-options/products/grand-bois-hetre-tyres in 38mm

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Durano Plus is pretty much bomb proof. My commute has a 3 mile shared path that is full of glass. It shredded Michelin but has made a mess of the Duranos but I've been pretty much flat free other than a massive chunk of glass getting through.

It can be interesting to put a micrometer to different alleged tyre sizes and see what they actually measure. A friend of mine gave me some Durano Plus 23s because he wont use 23s. He insists on 25s. (He got them cheap, but couldn't bring himself to fit them.) A quick check with a micrometer showed that they actually measured 26mm or so fitted.
I use 25 (indicated) Vittorias on my "summer" wheels and the above mentioned on my winter wheels. If anything, the Duranos are a slightly better ride. Very little in it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
^ this - a quick check gives 23mm Lithion 2s at actually 25mm, 23mm GP4000Ss actually 24mm, and 25mm Yksion Comps are 25mm! Slight variations depending whether front or back, as my back tyres are generally 5 -10 psi harder

I have a set of wheels with 23c conti gp4000 II on and another with 25c. I run the 25c tryes with 90psi and the 23c with 100psi. I did not notice any difference going from 23c to 25c, but going the other way you do notice the softer ride with less pressure in the tyres. Cant say I notice any difference in speed in either of them, but the pro's seem to be using the 25c tyres now for better rolling resistance.

Tojo

Über Member
I have a set of wheels with 23c conti gp4000 II on and another with 25c. I run the 25c tryes with 90psi and the 23c with 100psi. I did not notice any difference going from 23c to 25c, but going the other way you do notice the softer ride with less pressure in the tyres. Cant say I notice any difference in speed in either of them, but the pro's seem to be using the 25c tyres now for better rolling resistance.

I did measure my conti gp4000 II (with a micrometre) 23mm a while ago and they were just over 25mm and just under on the other, I don't have any 25's in that tyre so cant compare it would be interesting if you could measure yours to compare...:okay: By the way I have my 23's inflated to 120psi...may make a difference......:whistle:

I think it depends as much on the rim as the tyre. I also have the same set of tyres in the 28c variety! If I remember, I will bring my digi calipers home tomorrow and measure them all.

Tojo

Über Member
I think it depends as much on the rim as the tyre. I also have the same set of tyres in the 28c variety! If I remember, I will bring my digi calipers home tomorrow and measure them all.

That's a thought. I have my conti gp4000 II 23's on my campag zondas which are just under 21mm but I have another set of wheels that are about 19mm I'll put one on them and see if it changes the profile......:cheers:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The Durano Plus is pretty much bomb proof. My commute has a 3 mile shared path that is full of glass. It shredded Michelin but has made a mess of the Duranos but I've been pretty much flat free other than a massive chunk of glass getting through.

Are these the ones?
/www.athleteshop.co.uk/schwalbe-tyre-28-700x23c-23-622-durano-plus-smartguard-black?gclid=Cj0KEQjwkeiwBRCzmo-wiKL49pEBEiQAhvGKYYGDqcluWrIymA_pzBvkFyE2HSzJku8ZIn1RIEk21yIaAq2o8P8HAQ
I want to be 100% sure before i send for a pair.:okay:

Top Bottom