Which tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pottsy

Ok. Firstly small and light is very important for obvious reasons. It's just for me but is a 2 man tent still a good idea for the extra space? Money not really an important factor so name what would be your top choice. I guess it needs to cover most weather conditions including UK winter but then I'm not going to climb the Eiger with it.

Thanks in advance.

Odyssey

I'n wanting to start touring myself and I've been preparing a few bits and bobs over time with my small budget.

It seems that a lot of people buy two man for the extra comfort, but it's probably worth noting that the 'lightweight' two man tents tend to be very small for two people.

I just got myself a Vango Tempest as it seemed a decent all round starter. It's not the lightest by any means (around 2.6kg) but I'll see how it goes.

Bigtallfatbloke

Money no object hmm....maybe you should pay someone to drag a 6 man tent up the hills eh?...just being stoopid...sorry...ok...well I found that a two man tent is a LOT better than a one man tent.

Mine is a £60 tent from Decathlon...a Quech T2 pro ultra light 1.8kg x2 man tent. Does the job.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Pottsy said:
Ok. Firstly small and light is very important for obvious reasons. It's just for me but is a 2 man tent still a good idea for the extra space? Money not really an important factor so name what would be your top choice. I guess it needs to cover most weather conditions including UK winter but then I'm not going to climb the Eiger with it.

Thanks in advance.

I prefer a two man tent but others swear by one man tents and others by minimilist solutions such as tarps and bivi bags.

It's a matter of what *you* want more than what others do or want.

For a range of tents, have a look at www.cheaptents.co.uk - not all of the tents on offer are cheap though.

I

ASC1951

Guru
True, but Hillebergs are probably top of the list if price isn't a factor. People who have them - not me so far - reckon they are worth the extra.

jags

Guru
yes but who wants a cheap tent not i..the akto is a great favourate with cycle campers and it will probably last a lifetime

AndrewClark

Veteran
I have fond memories of a campsite in Dingle a few years ago. The people with cheap tents were sleeping in the toilet block. I was snug in my Akto :-)

JackE

Über Member
Tents

The question not often discussed on this subject is: how tall is the user? I'm 5' 11'' and find some of the ultralight tents are too low in the headroom dept. for me. I'm a big Hilleberg fan but found the otherwise excellent Akto gave me a stiff neck so I bought a Nallo 2 instead. Not light at 2.1 kgs but positively luxurious for one + kit.
A number of tall friends in the Backpackers Club have the Terra Nova Solar 1 (now discontinued but still some available from: www.terra-nova.co.uk). The new TN Ultralight range is worth looking at, especially the bomb-proof Voyager SL at 1.84 kgs.
Another range of tents that are gaining popularity among backpackers is "Lightwave". Designed by a New Zealander for tough conditions, I've recently bought their lightest one-man (t0 Ultra, 1.4 kgs). Haven't tried it in anger yet but can report back. I hate being "cramped up" in a tent and this seemed the best compromise between inner space and weight I could find.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
AndrewClark said:
I have fond memories of a campsite in Dingle a few years ago. The people with cheap tents were sleeping in the toilet block. I was snug in my Akto :-)
as was I in similar circumstances at Sligachan.

One of the good things with Hillebergs is how easy they are to put up, even on your own in fairly wild weather. It can be quite entertaining watching people trying to get a throw-over flysheet to stay thrown over long enough to peg down in a 30mph wind:biggrin:

Once comment about the Akto is that it's got a fairly flat roof, and would be vulnerable in snowfall

thePig

ASC1951 said:
True, but Hillebergs are probably top of the list if price isn't a factor. People who have them - not me so far - reckon they are worth the extra.

I have used a hilleberg nallo 2 for the last 4 years and it is awesome.
- It is lightweight - 2.1kg
- The outer goes up first (meaning you can put it up in the rain)
- Has a good size vestibule. Perfect for panniers, helmets etc. Can also cook in it
- Packs very small
- Very waterproof (never had a leak and have tested it in some real downpours)

Achilles

I have just got a Terra Nova Laser Competition to replace my Vango Spirit 200+ which was very comfortable but too bulky and heavy for me. The Laser Comp is under 1 kg and has more then enough room for me. Most impressed - hope to manage 3 or so nights away in it next week.

Top Bottom