Which tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just jim

I have a Macpac Microlight which has given rock solid performance for years. It is small, with not much headroom, but to be honest I just want to kip in it by the time I get in it.

Chris James

Über Member
I have had several Vangos and none of them have blown down! In fact I would say that their TBS system makes them one of the more stable tunnel tents. A mate has a Wild Country which is also excellent.

I would say both are good budget makes if you don't want to shell out £300 for a tent.

At just a shade under 6 foot I do find head room and length an issue - God knows how 6 plus footers manage. If it is very rainy then you may spend fairly long periods cooped up in the tent and more room definitely improves the experience.

For this reason also I prefer 2 man tents for solo use.

redcogs

Guru
i've recently acquired a vango Tempest 300. i've used it one weekend at Braemar. Fine sunny day for pitch. Very wet and windy through the night. Dry for the de-camp.

No leaks, no problems with the bluster, very comfortable (ie adequately warm), nae condensation. i'd recommend getting one if money is tight.

Chris James pointed me towards it in a similar thread to this only a few weeks ago. A good man that Chris James, and he evidently knows tents.

Chris James

Über Member
redcogs said:
Chris James pointed me towards it in a similar thread to this only a few weeks ago. A good man that Chris James, and he evidently knows tents.

Thanks (Blushes)

To be fair, all the other suggestions made in this thread are excellent. I just gave more budget advice.

jely

i just used my terra nova laser competition up in the andalucian mountains last week.... it was great!!! small, compact and lightweight and held it's ground on some pretty rocky terrain and a relatively strong wind...

jay clock

Massive member
I have a North Face Vector 22. I think it weighs 2.3kg. The website claims it is 1.97kg - I think that excludes the bag and the pegs and possibly the poles. So they fib big time on the weight

Plus points are it is a very generous 2 person and collossal for 1 person.

Downsides are that the base is the same material as the upper and it needs a groundsheet under it - weighing an extra 700g.

I just bought today a Decathlon T2 Ultralight Pro which is a small 2 person but fine for 1, and claims to weigh 2kg. I just weighed it and it is 1.87kg - fantastic.

It assembles with the inner pre-loaded and only took me about 3 mins. The floor is tougher than the outer flysheet and I think will be ok without the extra groundsheet.

All in all I have probably saved 1.3kg - a great deal at £79

I cannot wait to try it.

Jay

aidanp

I've bought a Terra Nova Voyager Lite for my RTW trip - The first time I used it was Easter Sunday / Monday in Sussex (v.cold and snow) and it was the business: The -12 rated sleeping bag and Exped Downmat 7 helped though..

asterix

Comrade Member
Another Hilleberg Nallo GT fan here. I used it to do the Raid Pyrenean last year and it was wonderful to have a tent with so much space and yet be light and easy to put up/take down. We got 3 days of rain, one torrential and it was dry and snug with room to do cooking in the porch. Even climbing the hills, I didn't envy my companion who'd gone all minimalist and ultra-light.

It's supposed to be ok in snow, but I don't do snowxx(

Christopher

Über Member
How best to store the poles on the bike? The ones with my tent are quite long (Terra Nova Voyager, bought for hiking, I want to try cycle-camping)

Make sure you get something long enough if you are tall, I find the Terranova stuff to short, I have a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer one person tent for the summer, very waterproof and not to hot on those balmy nights, wouldn't be much good in the winter though as it is to well ventilated for the cold. But I B&B in the winter anyway because I is gitting old.

johnny

I have a Vango Banshee. Its quite a small 2 man tent. Can't comment on how it handles any weather as each weekend that I have used it has been gloriously sunny....however....it does have a condensation problem that doesn't inspire much confidence.....

galaxy1

Vango banshee 2kg,packs up small.Its a 2 man tent but you'll just fit yourself and luggage into it

galaxy1

oops ,already been recommended.It handles well in windy conditions and rain although it does have quite a condensation problem.I've just come back off the cleveland way with mine and it was fine

Top Bottom