Which Touring bike from Evans?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petenats

Hi all. Advice required if possible...

My other half is looking for a touring bike (medium weight touring up to a couple of weeks both here and abroad) also to be used for her daily London commute. She has access to the Cycle to Work scheme with the £1000 subsidised voucher but apparently is limited to using Evans as the dealer.

We were looking at the Dawes Galaxy - great reviews and with a small addition to the voucher just about achievable price wise but being 5'3" it seems the smallest available frame may be too big (54cm).

If anyone has any experience of other bikes in the Evans touring range (especially for the vertically challenged (not that I've got much room to talk myself!!!)) then it would be massively appreciated.

PeteN

rich p

ridiculous old lush
petenats said:
Hi all. Advice required if possible...

My other half is looking for a touring bike (medium weight touring up to a couple of weeks both here and abroad) also to be used for her daily London commute. She has access to the Cycle to Work scheme with the £1000 subsidised voucher but apparently is limited to using Evans as the dealer.

We were looking at the Dawes Galaxy - great reviews and with a small addition to the voucher just about achievable price wise but being 5'3" it seems the smallest available frame may be too big (54cm).

If anyone has any experience of other bikes in the Evans touring range (especially for the vertically challenged (not that I've got much room to talk myself!!!)) then it would be massively appreciated.

PeteN

Hi Pete, my wife is 5' so a bit shorter but she had lots of problems finding something suitable in size and reach. She tried a few but bought an Edinburgh Coop Country Revolution in small but that was unsuitable too. I ended up flogging that and getting one custom built from a SE London bike builder (Paul Villiers). She went for 24" wheels and absolutely loves it - and it's a perfect fit too. Costwise it came to £1350.

tourdessex115.jpg

andym

Über Member
I could be wrong, but I think the fact that you have to go through Evans doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy from their standard range. Could be worth checking (with Evans Head Office, if the people in your shop don't know).

Also concor Cycles in London also do Cycle2Work - so if you were interested in one of their bikes it could be worth checking whether you can use the voucher with them.

Link to Villiers Velo - in Rochester, Kent.

OP
OP
P

petenats

Thanks for the info. I'll drop Evans a line...it seems such a shame to get something you don't really want just for the sake of having to use one dealer!

But then again if the other cheaper touring bikes come with solid recommendations maybe it will be just the job!

Top Bottom