Which touring bike? - Trek 920 vs Kona Sutra vs Ridgeback Panorama vs Jamis Aurora

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru

Useful post thanks as I (typical of me) am now debating the rim vs disc brake question.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
The new Holdsworth Stelvio looks lovely.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBHOLS...o-shimano-ultegra-6800-touring-disc-road-bike

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Interestingly, a number of the European manufacturers of high end tour bikes are avoiding disc brakes. They seem to think that they increase the chances of spoke snappage. They're stick with rim brakes.
Also the difficulty in getting the correct pads in the wilds whereas Canti/V-brake/Caliper pads are available in any small bike shop (as are square taper BBs or even better replacement bearing sets for loose bearing square taper ones)
DSCN0073.JPG

My Ridgeback has both although I've been toying with the idea of fitting 'Butterfly' handlebars to the old girl.

Debade

Über Member
I have thousands of fully loaded touring miles on my Trek 520. I was disappointed with the original tires. Switched to Schwalbe Marathon +. I also put on a Brookes saddle. Besides the riding, it did fall off the bike rack at 55 miles per hour and was unharmed. Protected mostly by the racks.

I would also suggest the Surly Long Haul Trucker. And another good research place if you plan to tour is Crazy Guy On A Bike.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced by disc brakes for touring, but I see you've picked that on all of them,

I think the same but the thing is that is the way "the industry" is taking touring bikes. That and ten speed. I had to dash out and buy the 2016 model of a tourer (possibly the last left in the country) very recently when it became clear that the 2017 model had been "improved".

Have a look at Spa Cycles as well, they do some great bikes, my friend won one in a competition, a titanium tourer and he uses it for work and says its fantastic.
I'd also look at the Surly Long Haul Trucker and the Genesis Tour De Fer, I've seen both of them in a bike shop and they are both lovely bikes.
+ 1 to this advice, particularly Spa. Their tourer is great value.

As User46386 says have a look at Spa cycles in Harrogate. The Specialized Sequoia is worth looking at together with the Salsa Vaya and the Hewitt Cheviot.
I have a Hewitt Cheviot SE. Very nice but I think overpriced. The frame alone is now I think over £600 which is bonkers for a Taiwanese factory built frame. I have just bought an entire new quality tourer for £700 (admitedly end of line) The Spa is I think better value.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I have a Hewitt Cheviot SE. Very nice but I think overpriced. The frame alone is now I think over £600 which is bonkers for a Taiwanese factory built frame. I have just bought an entire new quality tourer for £700 (admitedly end of line) The Spa is I think better value.
I agreed the Spa bikes are great value. I have a Hewitt Chiltern which doesn't have front fork pannier mounts and an extra set of bottle cage mounts but apart from that is I think identical to the Cheviot. It is a lovely bike, hand built wheels and superbly finished but has a new price of £1600 which is to say the least somewhat overpriced.

Agree - Mr Hewitt is very nice to deal with, a Pro, but I think he needs to be careful. Last time I looked at the web site it gave the very strong impression that they crafted the frame. Of course they don't.

Top Bottom