Which touring bike? - Trek 920 vs Kona Sutra vs Ridgeback Panorama vs Jamis Aurora

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Morning all

Im buying a touring bike and as their seems to be virtually no option to test ride im interested in opinions on the following bikes.I should point out that im not intending to traverse the globe or anything too serious.I think any of these would make a fine choice but what are your thoughts/advice.

Trek 920
bicycle-times-trek-920-9.jpg

Kona Sutra
sutra.jpg

Ridgeback Panorama
ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-2015-touring-bike-olive-metallic-EV223373-6000-1.jpg

Jamis Aurora
2016-Jamis-Aurora-Elite-Touring-Bike.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Your local Evans should be able to get the ones they stock into store for a test ride. £60 (IIRC) refundable deposit

https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/touring-bikes_c

They have all, at least in 2017 variant

https://www.evanscycles.com/help/test-rides

Go in and have a chat

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
From that list and just based on the visuals, the Kona Sutra - good brand, fairly wide tyres and looks less likely to risk heel-strike with large panniers, but I could be wrong. I'm not convinced by disc brakes for touring, but I see you've picked that on all of them, so if you like them and know how to repair them, go ferrit!

cubey

Über Member
Cube do some very nice touring bikes, had one for years, and the disc brakes are superb fully loaded in the rain.

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Thanks all yes I wanted disc on the new bike and Cube is a good shout. Just bought the wife a Curve and its very nice.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
As User46386 says have a look at Spa cycles in Harrogate. The Specialized Sequoia is worth looking at together with the Salsa Vaya and the Hewitt Cheviot.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

OP
OP
macp

macp

Guru
Im wondering if I have lead you all up the garden path a little.I love the looks of the trad tourer but maybe its too much as im mostly commuting and using it for everything else like nipping to the shops. I want disc brakes a relaxed geometry with a more upright position and I want to be able to fit guards & racks.

Genesis Croix de Fer 10 or CDA 10 ?

Top Bottom