Which turbo trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arsebeast

Hi all, so Christmas is coming around and hopefully Santa will be either bringing or contributing towards a turbo trainer. Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations? My main issue is that it will be going in my garage which does not have power to it. Are there any reasonably priced trainers out there that don't need mains power (but still record progress etc.)?
Thanks in advance!

BurningLegs

Veteran
Tacx Neo doesn't require power but some features don't work. Power will make it so much better!

I'm terns if which one to buy, basically get whatever is available and don't expect any deals. Turbo trainers are like gold this year!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll need power for a Smart Trainer - i.e. one you can connect to a computer. Non-smart, then you don't need power. You'll need a garmin with speed and cadence sensors to record anything if now.

What have you got already (e.g. bike computer) and what's Santa's budget ? If you can get power, then smart trainers start from £200 but then you need a laptop/ipad or smart phone and an ANT+ sensor (although Samsungs have ANT+ built in). It can be quite costly. Mine's a more budget set up given use.

Tacx T2240 Smart Trainer (£200 or less). Dedicated mini PC with two Screens (probably £200 from refurbed office supplies), ANT+ sensor (about £30, then a fan or two. You can ditch the computer if there is an Ipad or tablet in the house - possibly. e.g. Zwift will run on Apple and Android. You'll also need a wifi signal.

If you don't want this expense, normal trainer (£10 or less), then any bike computer of some sort with rear wheel sensor - you'll get a rough mileage/time. Add a fan, and also some 'music'

You can go from under £100 to over £1000 to get set up, then add in a subscription to a 'virtual' training platform.

Let us know what you'd ideally like to spend. Loads of folk on here with experience of lots of set ups.

Milzy

Guru
You'll need power for a Smart Trainer - i.e. one you can connect to a computer. Non-smart, then you don't need power. You'll need a garmin with speed and cadence sensors to record anything if now.

What have you got already (e.g. bike computer) and what's Santa's budget ? If you can get power, then smart trainers start from £200 but then you need a laptop/ipad or smart phone and an ANT+ sensor (although Samsungs have ANT+ built in). It can be quite costly. Mine's a more budget set up given use.

Tacx T2240 Smart Trainer (£200 or less). Dedicated mini PC with two Screens (probably £200 from refurbed office supplies), ANT+ sensor (about £30, then a fan or two. You can ditch the computer if there is an Ipad or tablet in the house - possibly. e.g. Zwift will run on Apple and Android. You'll also need a wifi signal.

If you don't want this expense, normal trainer (£10 or less), then any bike computer of some sort with rear wheel sensor - you'll get a rough mileage/time. Add a fan, and also some 'music'

You can go from under £100 to over £1000 to get set up, then add in a subscription to a 'virtual' training platform.

Let us know what you'd ideally like to spend. Loads of folk on here with experience of lots of set ups.
You don’t need power for a Neo to connect to any device eg PC. Trust me, it has a Dynamo built in. You just lose freewheeling until plugged in.

OP
OP
arsebeast

arsebeast

Hi again, thank you all so much for the input. A few points to clarify:
Current setup = nothing, I have an old exercise bike I got second hand a long time ago. Does the job but not exactly helping me reach the next level! Will be using the new trainer with my road bike, no computer as yet, just use my phone and Strava when I ride.
Budget - No set budget, if santa decides it is out of her price range she will contribute to whatever I end up getting. Not looking to break the bank but want something half decent.
Currently training in my garage, adapted to the humidity of no fan and limited light. Not ideal but then again just happy to be able to train indoors in the bad weather.
Trainers with their own dynamo sound intriguing, how do they connect to a device? Could I link via my phone?

Many thanks again for all the help, great stuff

raycoltrane

I have just posted in another thread regarding choice of indoor turbo-trainer, to dissuade people against parting with a lot of cash for a static indoor bike that has limited adjustments, limited comfort possibilities and is expensive:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/is-a-wattbike-worth-the-money.263779/page-3#post-6225956

I would recommend you a used Tacx Neo original. It's model number is 2800. You will find many for sale on ebay at high 'buy it now' prices, because they are solidly built and reliable. Age gets to us all and fixing it is easy with a simple tool. In my nearly 4 years I've never had to fix or do anything to it except give it a wipe down now and again with a cloth.

You can use it without power, but if you stop pedaling the ANT+ and bluetooth connection will of course stop working. I do this to encourage me not to stop cycling and have never had a problem maintaining connection to a laptop, phone or tablet using an ANT+ dongle or bluetooth. I prefer using ANT+ as this means my bluetooth headphones for tv/podcast/music/whatever won't interfere on the bluetooth channels.

If you're going to spend £600 on a new mid-range turbo trainer then, for my money, I would favour the premium range used option of a Tacx Neo version1 for around £750 or so. One of the best features for me is how quiet it is. Mid-range turbo trainers are noisy whereas the Neo is relatively silent, you just hear the sound of your bike groupset moving.

Features that won't work without power are:
'road feel' - this really does make your bike feel as if it's on cobbles/wood/dirt but I find it to be a fad and don't miss it.
Connectivity: after around 1 to 2 minutes, as I mentioned, your device will disconnect from your computer/tablet/phone because the ANT+/Bluetooth switches off without mains power IF you stop pedalling. However just pedal a few times and it'll come back on.

Having used many mid-range to upper range turbo trainers I cannot recommend the original neo enough. Is it perfect? There are some reports of power reading inaccuracy, but we're talking 10watts of difference or so, so nothing crazy. Otherwise, they appear to me to be bombproof. I avoided the new 2T model to get an older used model, due to the numerous reported problems with the 2T.

Last edited:

SWSteve

Guru
I have a kurt kinetic smart 2.0 which does everything I need. I do between 2/3 hours a week with it.
It does power readings (on a curve W/speed) and its wheel-on so you can swap bikes if you need to.
I think I paid about 240 for it, and am really happy with what I got for the price.

im considering jacking in a gym membership and getting a watt bike, but that’s a job for the summer.

Top Bottom