Which tyre should I get for a Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EckyH

By the time you have faffed about finding your public transport, or waiting for a lift/taxi you could repair a puncture or replace an inner tube and be on your way. 5/10 minutes maximum.
The other day on my commute to work the rear tire ran flat shortly before I reached Bösensell, fairly exactly at the half of the distance. I knew that there is the bus stop at the other end of Bösensell with a street lamp nearby. Because it was around 7:30am it was still dark, it was windy, rainy, cold and the bus stop is an example of hostile architecture (just a glass backside and a very short "roof", so barely shelter from the elements and no place to keep things off the ground).
Despite that wasn't by far not the first inner tube I had to replace somewhere in the landscape, my time was more likely 20min than 15min between stopping at the bus stop and rolling again. In other circumstances the time probably would have been significantly shorter.

For me the time criteria isn't the only one. Replacing the inner tube restores the ability to continue the commute, the journey etc. as intended and in many cases (leaving a season ticket aside) it is cheaper than calling a taxi or buying a ticket.

Edit: Regarding to the tyre - my choice at the moment is the Continental Urban Contact, because for me it's puncture resistant enough but with remarkably less rolling resistance than the standard Marathon and even more than the Marathon plus.

E.

Last edited:

Schwinnsta

Much simpler with a 2 speed.

Top Bottom