Which Tyres - MTB from now through the summer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deaksie

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and wonder if you could help me?

I've got a Giant Trance 2 which I like to spend hours on - finding the muddiest hilliest bits of countryside I can around where I live.

For the winter, I use Panaracer Trailrakers - absolutely excellent in the bottomless mud we have in abundance around here, but they're no good now as it's not wet enough, and they hold me up too much

I've recently switched back to my "normal" tyres - hutchinson piranha and barracuda, but they are knackered. Bike shop are putting some Bontrager XDX's on for me but has anyone got any other ideas?

I quite fancy panaracer fire XC, but that might just be the fancy colours......

I need something which can cope with the changeable british weather (and therefore mud), have enough grip but let me go a bit quicker in the dry and once we get back onto the lanes

it would be great to hear what you think

L

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Panaracer Fire XCs are excellent, especially in the 1.8 version as they have good ground pressure thanks to being narrower so they cut down and grip well, yet being narrower they are faster on dry surfaces. However the rear will only last one season, probably because it's so narrow and the compound quite soft. They are light so they accelerate well.

In dry conditions you really don't need fat knobbby tyres so almost anything designed for commuting with a central ridge is faster on tarmac and dry trails but beware; some commuter tyres can be quite heavy as there's a lot of thickness of rubber between the zig zags.

I used to ride Polaris events on 1.6 commuter tyres; they were perfectly adequate in almost all conditions and very fast on tarmac.

jethro10

Über Member
My wife has just fitted one of these to her rear -well ok, bike rear wheel
wink.gif

and loves it.

Geax Mezcal XC/Dry

great compromise and the 2.1 is £15
We were out Sunday, mix of dryish, mud and road. no problems

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9843

Top Bottom