Which Vac?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JtB

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My butler uses a Dyson to suck the muck out of Henry's bag.
Henry sucked by Dyson?
124974688364.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
I have an panasonic cyclinder jobbie that cost me about £50 5 years ago. I have to buy the bags online at about £4 a piece if that. Does the job considering I have a cat and go some time between hoovering sessions!

gbb

Legendary Member
Its amazing how different people get different results with the same hoover. We've had Dysons since the DC01, then theDC04 and now the DC07 I think.., the wife woukdnt have anything else. In 20 years ish we've had to replace a hose once, switch maybe twice and wheels once, motors and everything else have never failed.
Being in maintenance we get to repair the works hoovers, either Sebos or Henrys. Sebo, only ever touched one once, but Henrys..ive done at least 2 motors, innumerable cord rewind mechanisms (the contacts break in them) and switches.
We aquired a small Vax which we keep upstairs...,continually blocks and the hoses are too soft, plus we had a Vax shampooer, it lost suction becaise a gasket perished...can you buy one, a £1 gasket...no. Entire things useless because of a little piece of rubber.

Henry every time.
Had the wet/dry version which got banished to the garage when I got a wife, for reasons I still don't understand. Several years, several vacuums (including a Dyson) later we bought a Henrietta for the house. Had it at least 8 years now and never had any bother with it. I know it's 8 years as the cat arrived at the same time and the one it replaced wouldn't pick up cat hair.

The wet/dry one is still serving me well in the garage,despite all the debris it has been used for and it never gets a bag either, just relies on the cloth filter thing. I still have the same wife too.

What's with the thing over bag/bagless anyway?
It's not that difficult to remove a bag from a Henry and chuck it in the bin then fit a new one. The Dyson we had used to have filters that have to be changed regularly, so no £ saving against a bag and emptying it into the bin always seemed to be accompanied with a dust cloud back in your face too, Not any bother with a bag.
As for the 'doesn't lose suction' thing whats the difference between a dirty filter and a dirty bag, apart from the bag having a larger surface area to choke up? I have no real need or desire to see the dirt swirling round and round in a plastic tube.The floor gets vacuumed so I don't have to look at it anymore.

Mrs M

Guru
What's with the thing over bag/bagless anyway?
It's not that difficult to remove a bag from a Henry and chuck it in the bin then fit a new one. The Dyson we had used to have filters that have to be changed regularly, so no £ saving against a bag and emptying it into the bin always seemed to be accompanied with a dust cloud back in your face too, Not any bother with a bag.
As for the 'doesn't lose suction' thing whats the difference between a dirty filter and a dirty bag, apart from the bag having a larger surface area to choke up? I have no real need or desire to see the dirt swirling round and round in a plastic tube.The floor gets vacuumed so I don't have to look at it anymore.

The swirling dirt put me off the Dyson, that and the fact it was large, heavy, no use for tight corners and the suction power was weak.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
The bagless revolution is a con. You have to spend ages unblocking the filters, or keep shelling out for new ones. There's a reason why Numatic are popular with commercial and heavy usage, so just buy a Henry and be done with it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wouldn't touch a Dyson again. It fell to pieces pretty quickly. We have a Henry which has proved to be very good but it seems to wander off in a drunken fashion. Something to do with the castors I think. We bought a Miele C2 Powerline for the butler's wing and it's excellent. It wasn't much more than the Henry. The replacement bags are ludicrously priced but you can get generics on Ebay for not much.

classic33

Leg End Member
Forget the current Henry & Henrietta vacs. They're now trading on past reputation.
They're also inferior to older models.

Reactions: gbb

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I have a Henry and 3 dogs. Henry copes well with their shed hair. My only gripe is that he's an awkward little beggar for bumping into stuff.

Dyson upright, got rid after a few months, failed to hoover up effectively.

Vax upright, awful thing, witless design of a meltable rubber drivebelt onto a metal spindle that got very hot very fast. When it wasn't melting through, it was centrifuging off and too hot to touch & put back in immediately bare handed.

Top Bottom