Which way to fit my tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko

Veteran
I am going to fit some semi slicks to my mtb. The tyres have directional arrows on the side. am I correct in thinking that the drive arrows face forwards, or doesn't it really matter? A dumb question I know, but I'm a bit confused.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Doesn't really matter. But yes arrow forwards in direction of travel.

Norm

As long as they are at the top of the wheel! Whatever you do don't have one facing one way, and one the other - the bike will be impossible to move :blink:.
On the contrary, as the rear wheel drives the bike and the front wheel is driven by the the ground, there are plenty of reasons to have the arrows (and thus the tyre's cleats) facing in opposite directions. :thumbsup:

VamP

Banned
On the contrary, as the rear wheel drives the bike and the front wheel is driven by the the ground, there are plenty of reasons to have the arrows (and thus the tyre's cleats) facing in opposite directions. :thumbsup:

+1

The standard method of off-road tyre fitment is with direction of travel for front, against for rear.

For road use it probably doesn't matter too much, unless the tread pattern is aggressive.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
+1

The standard method of off-road tyre fitment is with direction of travel for front, against for rear.

For road use it probably doesn't matter too much, unless the tread pattern is aggressive.
Gosh - isn't this complicated. So if you have aggessive tyres the front arrow should point in the direction of rotation, (not travel) and the rear against?
Seriously - with slick road tyres IME it makes not a jot of difference.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What nonsense! It won't make any difference which way the tyres face but to make the choice easy for you the manufacturers have given you arrows. Conventionally people usually fit tyres with the logos visible from the right of the bike and if you're being really pedantic, both logos in line with the valve or opposite the valve.

Use plenty of talc on the rims and beads to lubricate them as you fit them as clean new rubber is very sticky.

youngoldbloke

What nonsense! It won't make any difference which way the tyres face but to make the choice easy for you the manufacturers have given you arrows. Conventionally people usually fit tyres with the logos visible from the right of the bike and if you're being really pedantic, both logos in line with the valve or opposite the valve.
Yes - its so difficult to decide when you haven't got arrows to help you!
There is a very good reason to fit tyres with the logos in a particular place - it helps locate the position of a puncture in the tyre - see the thread in 'Beginners' - it is not just being really pedantic :smile:

VamP

Banned
Gosh - isn't this complicated. So if you have aggessive tyres the front arrow should point in the direction of rotation, (not travel) and the rear against?
Seriously - with slick road tyres IME it makes not a jot of difference.

Direction of rotation and travel is the same thing. I don't think it's complicated at all.

Not really sure what you understand by aggressive tread pattern, but what is usually meant is a tread patternt that has some sort knobbles for gripping on a loose surface. The bigger the knobbles, the more aggressive the pattern. So a slick road tyre is not aggressive, and which way round you mount it makes no difference at all. If the OP is fitting tyres with an aggressive tread, then the chances are he has off-road or other loose or slippery surface use in mind, in which case the fitment should as stated, front with rotation, rear against.

VamP

Banned

Use plenty of talc on the rims and beads to lubricate them as you fit them as clean new rubber is very sticky.

Which part is nonsensical G?

potsy

Rambler
I just realised that the pair of tyres I fitted recently to my crosser are both on the wrong way round, am I bothered? :unsure:
Unless this is why I am so slow and all this time I thought it was me :biggrin:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I know no longer know whether I've got slicks or aggressive tyres on my bike! Rubino Pros have slight ''wash the water away'' grooves at the side but I've always thought of them as slicks before. I doubt they're aggressive, though, more like mildly bumptious.:wacko:

youngoldbloke

Direction of rotation and travel is the same thing. I don't think it's complicated at all.
Only if the arrow is viewed at the 12 o'clock position.

edit: it's mildly complicated in that, in the absence of instructions to the contrary, one might be excused for thinking that the arrows should point in the same direction. But now I know that this is not always the case!

VamP

Banned
I know no longer know whether I've got slicks or aggressive tyres on my bike! Rubino Pros have slight ''wash the water away'' grooves at the side but I've always thought of them as slicks before. I doubt they're aggressive, though, more like mildly bumptious.:wacko:

Ha, they're totally docile :biggrin:

Top Bottom