Which winter jacket to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
What exactly do you want? A waterproof or a warm layer? To keep warm I have a DHB softshell it is windproof and showerproof but a reasonable price. For waterproof I have a cheapish Polaris jacket keeps me dry but isn't the best for breathability. If money was no object the waterproof layer would probably be a showers pass elite 2.5. For a warm layer I can't see the point of paying more than I have for what I have.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sport pursuit have some half price Rapha...as long as you're an XXS!

As above, ~£200 for a jacket on a limited budget wouldn't be my option, but ...
If it's for this weather, be prepared to have an off (black ice) which can write off the jacket, as vickster refers to.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pretty low end though, the 100 range?

Just an example - I bought an Urban one that was £50 and it's one I use with just 1 base layer in weather like now.

If the OP lays out £300 now on one jacket, she'll likely need more kit, and that's a huge budget chunk gone. What works now, might not when it's 10c.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Sigma in Kingston have a good range of mid to high end kit. You’re in West London...why not take a ride down there next week and try some kit on?

vickster

Legendary Member
If it's for this weather, be prepared to have an off (black ice) which can write off the jacket, as vickster refers to.
She doesn’t actually say she has a limited budget though? £300 is pretty excessive for even a wealthy student though!

Mark pallister

I’ve got the alpha Ross and can’t fault it ,it’s v breathable ,warm and waterproof which is v hard to find
you can buy cheaper but not better

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

personally, I seek out kit on sale, rarely pay full price if ever...then I can get two or three times as much stuff :becool:
Quality>Design>Quantity

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

What exactly do you want? A waterproof or a warm layer? To keep warm I have a DHB softshell it is windproof and showerproof but a reasonable price. For waterproof I have a cheapish Polaris jacket keeps me dry but isn't the best for breathability. If money was no object the waterproof layer would probably be a showers pass elite 2.5. For a warm layer I can't see the point of paying more than I have for what I have.
Being warm is the priority if it is warm+waterproof then it is the full package.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Then get the Shutt VR one plus spend the other £150 on a pair of good winter bib tights plus overshoes / winter boots. I can't say where they're made but it's in Italy ... :whistle:
I have Assos bib tights already I don't need anything else, I don't need winter boots or overshoes right now.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I never said I had a limited budget, I said I am willing to pay for good quality and nice design.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Being warm is the priority if it is warm+waterproof then it is the full package.

Actually it’s not. A warm and waterproof jacket can be used in fewer circumstances. A prime example of this are paramo jackets. Great at what they do, but it’s got to be cold and wet for them to excel when cycling.

Then when it not cold or it’s not wet they are far from ideal. Just like a waterproof jacket for cycling is a poor choice except in heavy rain. You’ll get wetter and colder from condensed sweat then you would from a wind proof rain resistant outer with fast wicking inner layers.

In order to stay dry you have got to balance water ingress against water egress. The latter needs to exceed the former. Many waterproofs are great at ingress but rubbish at egress.

Last edited:
Top Bottom