Which winter jacket to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wear Lidl winter jacket I have had for about 4 years. It goes well with my Castelli Jersey and Rapha bibs. 😁

A really good jacket. 😁👍

My Aldi ones have been great too. :laugh:

lane

Veteran
Being warm is the priority if it is warm+waterproof then it is the full package.

What will you do when it rains without a waterproof? What will you do when it is HOT if your waterproof is warm.

What you need is something to keep the water out (shell) and something(s) to keep warm.

What I have is various layers (which didn't cost a fortune) including a soft-shell. If it's cold but dry I wear some or all of these. If its raining I bung my cheapish waterproof over the top.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Im going to wade in here and say grab a half decent softshell. Then you can layer up with SL or LS baselayers and jerseys underneath. then you got some budget to spend on a hardshell that will block out the some of the wind & rain.

Windchill has been around -2 or -3'c here when i go out on my bike and i wear a short sleeved summer base layer coupled with a winter jersey underneath a softshell, Today i went out with a summer jersey ontop of a summer baselayer underneath a softshell and i was still fine.

Save your money and layer up till the sales on winter gear start.

Last edited:
Just a curved ball idea. A lot of my cycling clothing is bought second hand as i prefer decent products but i just can't justify or afford many of the prices i see. Just bought a 2nd hand pair of Assos Mille GT Winter bib tights (no insert..) for £75.

Probably not the best time to buy 2nd hand winter gear but i wouldn't be surprised if there's plenty out there:okay:

Most of our regular day to day clothes have a degree of "looks good = feels good" about them so why not with your cycling gear, it should serve it's purpose and one of those is to make us look and feel good, it's fashion:smile:

As above, ~£200 for a jacket on a limited budget wouldn't be my option, but ...
If it's for this weather, be prepared to have an off (black ice) which can write off the jacket, as vickster refers to.
Do I recall that the OP was considering some ultra expensive tights/bibs recently and ignoring the possibility of an off?
Can happen anytime.
I came off a couple of days ago - not ice as I originally thought but turning slowly I hit one of those metal edge things that mark the edge of a property. No damage to me or bike, tights didn't tear but they are compromised - the black lycra now has that light brown look in that large patch which shows that the material has been overstretched/thinned in that area. They will doubtless now hole there in time.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Do I recall that the OP was considering some ultra expensive tights/bibs recently and ignoring the possibility of an off?
Can happen anytime.
I came off a couple of days ago - not ice as I originally thought but turning slowly I hit one of those metal edge things that mark the edge of a property. No damage to me or bike, tights didn't tear but they are compromised - the black lycra now has that light brown look in that large patch which shows that the material has been overstretched/thinned in that area. They will doubtless now hole there in time.
I did purchase the expensive bib tights. Right now I am not doing any cycling as I don’t have a warm enough jacket so I am too cold. Winter won’t be over for the next 3 months now that’s a long time.

I did purchase the expensive bib tights. Right now I am not doing any cycling as I don’t have a warm enough jacket so I am too cold. Winter won’t be over for the next 3 months now that’s a long time.
mm - at this rate winter WILL be gone - you could have been out enjoying some crisp cold days with a full decathlon or whatever package or - could always have been relegated to second best later. If you're not riding at least your bibs have zero chance of taking fall damage.

Mark pallister

Assos are excellent bibs
you get what you pay as with everything in life
bunch of tight arses on here ,assos and rapha both offer a free crash repair serve should you be unfortunate to have a fall

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Assos are excellent bibs
you get what you pay as with everything in life
bunch of tight arses on here ,assos and rapha both offer a free crash repair serve should you be unfortunate to have a fall
Thank you, I agree. I am very happy with my rapha cycling stuff and with asos bib tights. What brand cycling shoes do you like?

Top Bottom