Which winter jacket to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would like to get the rapha cycling shoes but the colour I want is out of stock so I might need to settle for a different colour or wait.
Are they road (3 hole) or MTB (2 hole) shoes - everyone has suggested in your other thread that SPD (MTB 2 hole) is better for a beginner new to clipless especially if you will / might have to walk off the bike (eg have you ever had to walk home after a puncture). You really don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on high end labels to get good serviceable kit (unless money is no object, then crack on)

Who makes the shoes for Rapha...it's possible you may be paying a chunk more for the name on the same product

Last edited:
Rapha are not cheap clothing. The weather is trash at moment for cycling so I venture out on MTB only. I am itching to ride my new bike but for weather reasons it’s not happened and now home schooling. Given a chance I would buy anything if it got me out cycling

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I did purchase the expensive bib tights. Right now I am not doing any cycling as I don’t have a warm enough jacket so I am too cold. Winter won’t be over for the next 3 months now that’s a long time.

Have you got no warm tops at all that you can wear? You don’t need a specific cycling winter top , just anything that’ll keep you warm whilst out on your bike. Multiple tops if necessary.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Rapha are not cheap clothing. The weather is trash at moment for cycling so I venture out on MTB only. I am itching to ride my new bike but for weather reasons it’s not happened and now home schooling. Given a chance I would buy anything if it got me out cycling

Rapha has got cheaper though (relatively).

You have to go a bit more niche these days if you really want to spunk the cash. Cafe du Cycliste is my current go to.

Rapha has got cheaper though (relatively).

You have to go a bit more niche these days if you really want to spunk the cash. Cafe du Cycliste is my current go to.
Had a look on website, some very nice gear. Particularly like the hats. Eye watering prices or maybe that’s just Onions !

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The problem with these questions is there is always plenty of
"You don't want to do that , you want to do this "

Money to burn.

DHB kit is really well made.
This is my deep winter jacket for the cold.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-all-winter-softshell-jacket

But it does need to be really cold to be of use. Around zero.

This would get more use. Designed for 6 degrees and above.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-all-winter-softshell-jacket

As has been mentioned before there's no one jacket that would do you all winter. I'd still take my shakedry out to put over me if I get a mechanical or the rain sets in.

RoyPSB

Über Member
I’ve just bought a Rapha winter jacket. Full price, £110. It’s excellent. Wore it out today with a thermal long sleeve base layer and a thin vest. I stayed warm in 3 degrees. I’ve Only recently bought a few tops from Rapha and I’m very impressed. When you look at other brands, it really isn’t pricey.

ms10

Regular
I have the men's Castelli RoS Perfecto and it is absolutely perfect for the current conditions. It's rated down to 4C. To be honest, any colder and I think cycling becomes too risky due to ice. This jacket also comes in a version which allows the sleeves to be detached, allowing further flexibility with regard to temperature.

I'm not sure if there's a comparable women's version, but do beware they fit very small. I'm normally a medium and ended up with a snug extra large

Last edited:
Top Bottom