Which Work Stand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petenats

I've been searching the interweb for a workstand, with prices ranging from £40 to £400. I'm not looking for a Pro stand but ideally something that will fold away and seem to be erring in the direction of some of the Park stands.

The new Pc11 seems like a great piece of kit but the Pc9 can be bought for £75 compared to £140...

If anyone has any experience of using a workstand and recommends one in particular please holler...

Norm

I picked up one of these about a month ago. Seems well made, sturdy and stable if light on frilly bits.

I can't remember the brand name. It's on the Decathalon site as "No Brand", which isn't true but I'm buggered if I can remember who makes it.

It doesn't fold but two of the legs can be removed in about 30 seconds, making it as small as a small thing and easy to hang in the garage rafters.

Garz

Squat Member
There's a good park tools stand I think around the £80-90 bracket. I saw one on sale on the Edinburgh bike co in manchester, dont know if it was parks though!

I would be a bit cautious of the sub £70 ones as they may be cheap as they are poorer quality.

orienteer

I have a Minoura 4000 workstand which folds up. I've even had a tandem up on it! Think it was superseded by the 5000 model at some stage.

One of the best investments I ever made, it's so much easier to carry out adjustments.

OP
OP
P

petenats

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Has anyone used/got a park PCS 9 stand...it seems to be top of the hit list at the mo (tracked one down for £72) but it would be great to get some user feedback.

Pete N

iendicott

Norm said:
I picked up one of these about a month ago. Seems well made, sturdy and stable if light on frilly bits.

+1

I find it very sturdy and for the price it's good quality. Doesn't fold flat as mentioned but then again I have it tucked away in the garage so I don't need to ;)

OP
OP
P

petenats

Cheers for the advice.

I found a Park stand in Ribble Cycles for £75 which with some good reviews has been purchased...as I type it is winging it's way to me!

After pending most of yesterday on my knees in a cold garage fettling, I'm looking forward to it's arrival. I just hope it doesn't encourage me to get too adventurous.....

iendicott

I bought this stand to service my bike, they are invaluable IMHO, hook the bike up, strip it down and service it all at a comfortable height.

dubhghall

I bought the Park PC-11 a few months ago and it is fantastic.

It is much heavier than it looks in the pictures and virtually unrockable - concerns I had about the PC-9.

With hindsight, I have no regrets buying the more expensive one but seeing how strong it is I am sure the PC-9 would have been more than adequate for my needs.

I've thought about building one myself from timber, and for a fraction of the cost of the metal ones. I have enough 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" to make one. Only problem I can see is how to make the clamp. Anyone made a homemade stand?

ASC1951

Guru
I've got the Park Tools PCS 4, which is a very solid piece of kit and, like all Park stuff, well designed and well made. I think it was about £250 new, but I was lucky enough to find someone selling it for less than that along with an amateur team's entire service kit.

Second hand Park Tools, if you can find them, are as good as most makes new.

Garz

Squat Member
Paul Narramore said:
I've thought about building one myself from timber, and for a fraction of the cost of the metal ones. I have enough 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" to make one. Only problem I can see is how to make the clamp. Anyone made a homemade stand?

This guide and this one got me wanting to do it.

I built one myself when for my Design and Technology GCSE 17 years ago. Mild tubular stell welded together with the most industrial clamping system you could imagine. My dad has been using it all this time and it's been sat outside in the garden for 17 years and still works. It's only now becoming redundant because i didn't have the foresight to predict odd-shaped top tubes :blush:

Top Bottom