Whisky question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Which explains why tyred spells it with an 'e'! (See his location.)

I wanted to buy a small bottle of Oban whisky for Christmas and found a website selling it for £11.99 but I can't remember what the name of it was! PS - found it, but the delivery charge is £7.80 - blow that!

Ooh good spot, we'll let him off ;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Indeed it does, Mickle, although cask strength Scotch is certainly available.
I usually add an ice cube, and wait till it melts. Unless there's a Scot nearby...
Got some 12 year old Caol Ila on the go at the moment :cheers:
Very nice, but I prefer Laphroaig.

EDIT Oh, I'd better answer the question, I suppose.
Tap water, or mineral. NOT sparkling. Soda is right out IMHO.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Doesn't all commercially available whisky have water added to it between cask and bottle?
Try this, this or more readily available in your local supermarket this for starters. Non-dilution usually goes hand in hand with not chill filtering too. But the latter doesn't guarantee the former.

Titan yer tummy

No meatings b4 dinner!
Rather partial to a double whisky with fizzy water on the rocks. However as I gave up alcohol years ago I leave the scotch out nowadays.

But do still use it as the 'gravy' at a Burns night supper.

TyT.

Paladin - York

Some years ago when I was a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, Leith, Edinburgh, I was advised by the Society and those who I deemed to be "in the know", to always take water with 60% vol, YES 60% VOL, & colourless (no caramel).

There was a tale going round at that time, that a Society member's holiday cottage had been broken into and that a quantity of 60% had been imbibed. Not only were the police involved but health warnings had also been issued advising the culprits against drinking that particular whisky neat and of the consequences of doing so. I never did hear any more about it.

My membership of The Society? It lapsed, it was cheaper to buy a bike!

ps Whiskey - the Irish spelling?

tha mi ag iarraidh drama uisge-beatha mas e ur toil e - slainte mhath.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
^ not all coloured whisky is coloured with caramel. It's the oak casks, sometimes second hand ones, wot dun it.

On the other hand Glenglassaugh's The Spirit Drink That Dare Not Speak Its Name and Bruichladdich's X4 are colourless spirits produced in Whisky distilleries but cannot be legally sold as Whisky because they have not been aged in oak casks.

Mozzy

Never ever added any water to my 'Wicky.' Unless a Malt (good one) Glayva, or Bells Whisky liquor, I just have a splash of Ginger wine to enjoy a warming Whisky Mac.

longers

Legendary Member
A barman told me this summer that his favourite way of adding water was to splash a bit into the glass he was going to use, slosh it round and then tip it all out. What was left clinging to the sides of the glass was the right amount in his opinion.

I tried it and it works for me too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a Macallan cask strength single malt. At 58.6% I far prefer it with some water. Without you have real difficulty appreciating the flavours.

Canrider

Guru
A barman told me this summer that his favourite way of adding water was to splash a bit into the glass he was going to use, slosh it round and then tip it all out. What was left clinging to the sides of the glass was the right amount in his opinion.

I tried it and it works for me too.
I'll have to try that one--I never seem to get the right size of 'splash' of water when I try to add one.

Bicycle

I quite like a cheap, blended Scotch with dry ginger ale. For some people, this is like putting ketchup on pasta (which I also used to do).

Things I have learned in a largely trouble-free life:

1. If working alongside a Scottish Regiment, do not stroll into the mess and ask for a Scotch.
2. Having asked for a Scotch, do not then make it worse for yourself by asking for some Ginger Ale and ice with it.

I really wanted to educate those chaps onhow to enjoy a cheap. blended scotch with a mixer, but I sensed it wasn't the time or place.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I quite like a cheap, blended Scotch with dry ginger ale. For some people, this is like putting ketchup on pasta (which I also used to do).

Things I have learned in a largely trouble-free life:

1. If working alongside a Scottish Regiment, do not stroll into the mess and ask for a Scotch.
2. Having asked for a Scotch, do not then make it worse for yourself by asking for some Ginger Ale and ice with it.

I really wanted to educate those chaps onhow to enjoy a cheap. blended scotch with a mixer, but I sensed it wasn't the time or place.
Try BNJ. Cheap blend. Great straight up. or with a mixer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I tried whisky when I was younger - the cheap, nasty, blended stuff. A quarter bottle of that put me right off it. xx(

These days, I don't normally drink anything stronger than beer or cider but a friend bought me a 20 year old single malt on a night out at the pub. Ah ha - one taste and I saw what all the fuss was about!

I still wouldn't buy whisky for regular drinking - it's too expensive and too strong.

Top Bottom