Whisky question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
When it says mix with a little water.Does it mean tap water.For i have always drunk Malt neat.But i have spotted a special offer on at Sainsbugs.£20 for The Singleton.Saving of £9-99p.I might just be tempted.A review mentioned a little water.But trying to find said review again i cannot.I thought it said spring water.Will tap water alter the taste.
Come on you lot,there must be a Whisky buff out there in CC land.Put this Englishman right.

tyred

Legendary Member
Tap water will be fine (from a reformed Whiskey drinker).

Anyway, that should be Whiskey, S'il vous plait. The Scots can't even spell the word properly:whistle:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
_45550352_000171286-1.jpg

Scotch and threat! I say!

sunnyjim

Tap water's fine- but not the swimming-pool tasting stuff you sopmetimes get in non-scottish places. If it doesn't smell, it's OK.

<Looks round cutiously incase any other scots listening> In the privacy of my own home, I sometimes put ice in - not 'on the rocks, just one cube. It releases water slowly.

If you're local water's a bit off, develop a taste for stuff like the 10 yr (ie youthful) versions of islands Talisker/ Laphroaig /Bowmore / Ardbeag etc

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Best thing to mix with a single whisky is a double whisky :cheers:

If you must add a "splash" of water then tap water will be fine, although I find hard water can really alter the flavour - and not for the better.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Tap water will be fine (from a reformed Whiskey drinker).

Anyway, that should be Whiskey, S'il vous plait. The Scots can't even spell the word properly:whistle:

Actually thats an americanism the english and scottish spelling is in fact whisky. although the americans did get that from the irish i think.

i tend to drink single's neat, just sit back with it warm and enjoy the smell and taste :biggrin:
currently enjoying a bottle of Jura Superstition, whisky appears to be on offer everywhere at the moment, i'm thinking of also picking up a bottle of arberlour.
pete

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Jura on offer in the Co-op at the mo... £20 a bottle. However tesco also have Jura on offer, £20 for a half bottle!

A quality whisky needs no water... crap whisky can be brought into line with a splash of water. IMHO of course

Doesn't all commercially available whisky have water added to it between cask and bottle?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Actually thats an americanism the english and scottish spelling is in fact whisky. although the americans did get that from the irish i think.
Which explains why tyred spells it with an 'e'! (See his location.)

I wanted to buy a small bottle of Oban whisky for Christmas and found a website selling it for £11.99 but I can't remember what the name of it was! PS - found it, but the delivery charge is £7.80 - blow that!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've heard so-called experts suggest that a dash of water brings out the flavour better but I would never add water to it any more than I'd add it to wine.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cask strength certainly needs a drop adding, say 5cl (teaspoon) to a double. To open it up.

Like red wine these days whisky is drunk too warm. Room temperature today is not what it was 100 or even 50 years ago. So an ice cube can open up the flavours a little more.

The Scots insist that only Scotland produces Whisky. I'll not argue with a jock over that. Big hairy brutes some of them. But given the Irish distillers appear to have been at it first...... I'll also raise a glass of Whiskey to the Scots from time to time.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've heard so-called experts suggest that a dash of water brings out the flavour better but I would never add water to it any more than I'd add it to wine.
I can think of a few wines where the only way to drink them is to cut them first.

Top Bottom