Whisky question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If it's one of those very expensive island malts that smell of cat piss, you simply can't dilute them enough. Any old water will do. Actually....think of dilution at a positively "homeopathic" level.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Doesn't all commercially available whisky have water added to it between cask and bottle?

No. Not all. Far and away the vast majority yes.

Yes, that's correct; cask strength whisky is available, if you know where to look, but you can easily pay twice the price of a 'normal' malt. Some people like to buy cask strength whisky, as they see it as a good investment. As Greg says, virtually all whisky is 'watered down' to 40%.

Some years ago when I was a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, Leith, Edinburgh, I was advised by the Society and those who I deemed to be "in the know", to always take water with 60% vol, YES 60% VOL

60% abv Whisky is cask strength *; when I was single many years ago (and could afford it), I made a £60 impulse buy on a bottle of cask strength Dallas Dhu whisky. It dated from the mid/late 70s . . . . . . . if I had the same bottle now, it would be worth a fair bit more than that. For my tastes, it certainly needed water adding. I'd never seen Dallas Dhu before and I've never seen it since.
* Whisky can be sold as cask strength at below 60% abv; more aged whisky will lose a few % abv, due to evaporation from the cask.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes, that's correct; cask strength whisky is available, if you know where to look, but you can easily pay twice the price of a 'normal' malt. Some people like to buy cask strength whisky, as they see it as a good investment. As Greg says, virtually all whisky is 'watered down' to 40%.

Whilst I'm sure that wa sonce true I'm not sure it is still the case. Glenfarcas 105 is available in any duty free shops and via independent off licences. Aberlour A'bunadh is on sale in every Waitrose for certain and I'm sure I've seen it in Sainsburys on one of my XCtmas time whisky buying forays to my local branch. (I go becuase they get some good Japanese expressions in)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Water does bring out the flavour by bringing out of solution some molecules that would normally be dissolved in the ethanol. Chilling with ice will suppress the flavour of those molecules by damping down their volatility. The tiny percentage of chlorine in solution in tap water will be completely masked by the flavour of the whisky.

A whisky anecdote: once on a flight back from the Middle East I found myself next to a very senior Scotsman who turned out to be the export manager for Johnny Walker. "So come on then," I asked him, "where's your biggest export market?"

"You already know the answer!" he replied with a laugh.

"Saudi?"

"Yep!"

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Whilst I'm sure that wa sonce true I'm not sure it is still the case. Glenfarcas 105 is available in any duty free shops and via independent off licences. Aberlour A'bunadh is on sale in every Waitrose for certain and I'm sure I've seen it in Sainsburys on one of my XCtmas time whisky buying forays to my local branch.

Missus does most (all) of the shopping, so I don't get to see what's on offer.

Your message is just the encouragement I need ! ^_^

I'd certainly like a bottle of Glenfarclas 105; thing is, I've got 3 bottles of sloe gin, 3 of sloe brandy & 2 of sloe bacardi to get through first ^_^. All the sloe drinks taste great - especially the bacardi version (to my surprise).

Globalti

Legendary Member
Paladin, superb pics thanks, they made me yearn for Scotland, fresh air and freedom!

User269

Cant stand the stuff, now ..... Jack daniels mmmmmmmmmmmmm

i'll get my coat.

I've been suffering with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder since reading all this stuff about...........I can barely bring myself to say it.............putting water in whisky. Having now been reminded of the time I tried something called Jack Daniels ( a kind of sickly, flavour free mouth wash ) I've had to start therapy again. I wish I'd never looked at this post (sob)........:cry:

Alcohol; The cause of, and cure for, all of mankind's problems.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You are trapped in the macho dogma about drinking your whisky full strength. Adding a dash of water (not enough to weaken it) brings out the flavour, it's a scientific fact.

Jack Daniels isn't whisky, it's whiskey, surely?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Went to the Oban distillery a few years ago. At the end of the tour you get a tot to try. The GF can't stand whisky so I was hoping for hers but the guy who took us round suggested she tried it with just a wee drop of water. She tried it without, then with and I didn't get it :cry:.
I've always been of the opinion that the only thing to put in a glass of whisky (or whiskey, I like both) is another one :cheers:.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I'm liking this idea of using the glass for the touch of water, swill it out, chuck then add whisky.
i'll give that a try tonight, i've got a night in tonight with my Jura and a tin whistle :biggrin:

Top Bottom