I went watching / supporting him when he had his bout.
He won, natch
And I really appreciated the support on the night.
I changed work laptops recently, but not sure why the radio silence.
I personally got a lot out of it.
I’d been boxing training for a while, but never had an actual match. So I did a white collar to have a match.
The white collar just means unsanctioned and not experienced boxers. Previously I’d have been deemed too old to have a sanctioned amateur match. They have since brought in something called “seniors”.
There are a few companies that run these, so I can’t speak for all of them, but they try and match you up on a few things including ability. So my opponent was a similar age but a bit bigger than me and about 10kg heavier, but I’d have said I was more skilled.
As for fitness, I really took it seriously. I went in pretty fit, trained 5 days a week for 10 weeks, didn’t drink, lived super clean and was in the shape of my life. My match lasted about 3 minutes of actual boxing and I was total goosed at the end.
I saw a comment about being thugs….some of the lads were a bit rough and ready but all seemed decent people….I’d not consider myself a thug…..boxing has many rules and feels more like playing rugby to me.