White rose classic...... general cheering up needed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't take any notice of ColinJ, he's actually a fallen devil trying to get you to kill yourself :blush:

No but seriously, that is inspirational stuff ColinJ.

I can't add anything Andy, except to say I find hills pretty hard. Even as I get fitter I still find them hard all that happens though is that I can do more of them in succession. Just make sure you've got some gears in reserve for the end of your ride.

I read a good thread on hillclimbing on yacf, see reply 24 in particular.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm fitter now than I ever thought I'd be when I first started, but the funny thing is - the fitter I get, the fitter the people I seem to meet!

Speed - I couldn't cope with the pace of even a 4th cat race.

As for distance - when I started doing 200 km audax rides, that was a big thing for me, but I met people who saw them as merely training for 300s, 400s, 600s, or even the 1200 km Paris-Brest-Paris. One guy told me that he didn't bother doing many 200s any more because he no longer found them challenging...;)

I came to the conclusion that ultra-distance** wasn't for me. I get too many aches and pains and I don't enjoy riding in the dark. Also - I want to have a life outside cycling. I have decided to do more sportives and try to improve my speed, and especially my climbing.

It is important to not be discouraged by those fitter than yourself. I did The Pendle Pedal last year and came 191st out of 196 finishers but I'm not ashamed of that and just look at it as a target to beat. I'd like to be in the top half of the field this year, and maybe go for a decent time next year.

Andy - set yourself challenging but achievable targets. Work hard to get to that level, and then raise your sights for the next target. I'm organising a 50 mile forum ride in the Forest of Bowland for one of the last two weekends in June. It will be hilly, but the scenery is great. We will ride at the pace of the slowest rider, which is often mine! If you fancy coming along, how about making that your target for early summer?

** My definition of ultra-distance is anything much beyond about 200 miles or maybe 300 km. I know that I could cope with 300 km and it is doable in daylight hours in the summer.

ColinJ

Tim Bennet. said:
Well that rules it out for ASC1951 - he's genetically wired to be incapable of pacing. Something to do with "we never got an empire through pacing...." etc.
Hey ASC1951 - I've replied to your PM about my Bowland ride... You'd be quite welcome to attack every hill we come to as long as you wait for me at the top ;)!

ColinJ

ColinJ said:
I'm fitter now than I ever thought I'd be when I first started...
Oh dear - that remark has come home to haunt me! I had a long time off the bike over the winter and piled the weight on but I didn't realise how much fitness I'd lost. I cycled over to Huddersfield on April 27th to do the Kirklees Sportive, then cycled back again afterwards and it was 105 miles of hilly Yorkshire torture :biggrin:! As for not getting off on hills - my back went into spasms on the steep climb to Wessenden Head from Meltham and from Holme Moss on I had to get off every 10 minutes or so to stretch it.

Looks like I'm back in the same boat as you now Andy! I've done it before so I know that I can do it again, I'm just annoyed with myself for letting myself go.

Right, the sun is shining - I'm off out for a couple of hours - byeee :biggrin:.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

right hjave now got back from 3 week training course, no cycling but lots of running....... interested to to see if that helps or hinders my cycling.

Anyway will now get down to serious last minute work......if i move its on that chuffing bike. People are gonna think that spesh is welded to my arse!

Bring it on!!

Phew... i think i need to lie down

Andy.

Col glad to see i have brought you down to my level....sooner than i thought too!

ASC1951

Guru
ColinJ said:
Hey ASC1951 - I've replied to your PM about my Bowland ride... You'd be quite welcome to attack every hill we come to as long as you wait for me at the top ;)!
Tim's absolutely right - I am genetically incapable of pacing. Ditto chainganging. I go as fast as I can for as far as I can and always have done.

I should point out that "as fast as I can" is not very fast, so I am not going to be waiting for anyone at the top of any hills. Anyway, all you need to do is ease past me 2-3mph faster uphill and I will blow up after 100 yards trying to keep up; I just can't help myself. Think Jack Russell in Sumo suit.

I can do the Forest of Bowland ride if it's on the 28-29th weekend, but probably not the weekend before because 21 June is now the likely date for a caving club dinner in Barbondale.

ColinJ

ASC1951 said:
I should point out that "as fast as I can" is not very fast, so I am not going to be waiting for anyone at the top of any hills. Anyway, all you need to do is ease past me 2-3mph faster uphill and I will blow up after 100 yards trying to keep up; I just can't help myself. Think Jack Russell in Sumo suit.
In my current state, if I was riding 3 mph faster than you uphill, you'd have to be standing next to your bike ;)!

ASC1951 said:
I can do the Forest of Bowland ride if it's on the 28-29th weekend, but probably not the weekend before because 21 June is now the likely date for a caving club dinner in Barbondale.
I think I need all the time I can get to prepare myself so the 28th or 29th sounds good.

Having suffered so badly on that Kirklees ride, I might choose to be sensible and miss out the hills on the first part of my extended FoB ride. The less interesting, but more sensible option would be to use the valley roads to get to the start in Whalley. Mind you - I have nearly 6 weeks to get fitter and I'd like to do my original route if I feel up to it.

ColinJ

andy_wrx said:
'Pain in the Pennines' going to live up to its name then Col ?
I'm actually considering being sensible and not doing it ;)! It turns out that I injured my right leg on the Kirklees Sportive. When I was grovelling round I felt a twinge in the top of my right thigh. It didn't hurt much for a couple of days but then it got really sore and it has been giving me grief on and off ever since. I went for a single-speed ride on Sunday from Coventry to Towcester and the damn leg went again on a small hill; I'm only talking about 400 metres of 5% but I was forced to dismount and walk - the shame! How on earth am I going to cope with the likes of Mytholm Steeps :biggrin:... I might have a go at the shorter event instead but even that might be too much unless the leg has improved by then :smile:.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

hi guys........... lift off minus 3 days, am still pretty nervous, having done some of the course i have only one aim, to finish!

I know i am not yet fit enough for this but hey ho, i think that if i pace myself, take the hills easy and remain positive i could do it. So if you see me i will be the one huffing puffing and never taking my turn at the front cheer me on.

Good luck to the rest of you. Those doing the long route, chapeau.

andy

ianfromleeds

hey andy dont worry ,you proberbly wont be the
last to finish:biggrin:me and my mate are doing the 50
and we are slow,iam starting to wish id done more training
ive been up east chevin road a few times so hoped thats
helped,iam also down for the rydale rumble short ride,is it hillier?
see you all sunday 8am.
ian

andyfromotley said:
hi guys........... lift off minus 3 days, am still pretty nervous, having done some of the course i have only one aim, to finish!

I know i am not yet fit enough for this but hey ho, i think that if i pace myself, take the hills easy and remain positive i could do it. So if you see me i will be the one huffing puffing and never taking my turn at the front cheer me on.

Good luck to the rest of you. Those doing the long route, chapeau.

andy

If you are doing the short route you'll be fine. Good luck and enjoy.

Top Bottom