FNRttC Whitstable Edition: Friday 6 April 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
The Date: Friday 6 April.
The Deal: The Queen of Rides and a brilliant breakfast in Whitstable.

Spring is upon us and so thoughts turn to one of the jewels in the Friday Night Ride to the Coast calendar - London to Whitstable.

We depart at midnight from Fridays Central, between the British Film Institute and the river Thames, under Waterloo Bridge. Escaping London via the Cutty Sark, Woolwich Arsenal and the Thames Path, we’ll duck under the Dartford Bridge and head into the dark lanes just after Gravesend. From that point on, the ride is enchanting.

Refreshments are taken at the hall of the Church of the English Martyrs in Strood, before crossing the Medway and heading east towards our destination. The road from Faversham to Whitstable runs across the Graveney Marshes. It doesn’t get much better than that!

Breakfast will be at the Waterfront Club overlooking the sea, with views across to Southend-on-sea on a clear day.

There’ll be a castle, a cathedral, a tank, possibly a submarine, and almost certainly sheep.

It’s a ride of around 67 miles.

If you fancy joining us for what should be an excellent nocturnal two-wheeled adventure, please register your interest.

If you’re new to The Fridays or to night riding, take a look at our new website where you’ll find plenty of information which will help you prepare.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Can't access the form.....at least on my phone.

kimble

Veteran
Signed up because it's Whitstable, which is clearly the best, but my attendance depends on whether I can get rid of this lingering lurgy and regain some semblance of cycling fitness by then.

In any case, will be wary of submarines. Too many disturbing headlines with my name in them.

Redlight

Signed up for this one and looking forward to it. Might ask if I can join at Cutty Sark rather than ride 'all the way' in to town and back out again.... is that allowed?

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Signed up for this one and looking forward to it. Might ask if I can join at Cutty Sark rather than ride 'all the way' in to town and back out again.... is that allowed?
Not normally keen on people joining part way into the ride - you'll miss all the fun at the start!

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
any hills i need to be worried about?

I'd describe it more as lightly rolling. There are one or two small efforts, but nothing leg breaking. Any steeper ramps are quite short. It's well worth the effort though just to ride across the marshes and - if we're lucky - the sunrise over the marshes at Raspberry Hill.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Adrian C
Alex K
Andrew F
Belinda S
Brian D
Eleanor H
Elisabetta M