FNRttC Whitstable Edition: Friday 6 April 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kimble

Veteran
IMHO a spare gear cable comes under the category of things that are small, light and potentially useful enough to carry in your on-bike toolkit at all times (see also: cable ties, quick links, cleat bolts). Doubly so if it's an exotic one, or (DAHIKT) you're riding across Wales with a full touring load.

Users of complicated integrated road bike levers/shifters may see things differently, given that it can take a whole weekend to extract the nipple of a broken cable from the things.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hopefully neither myself nor anyone else at the cutting edge of road bike gearing will need an 11 speed quick link, let alone three of them. But they'll be in the tool bag if needed.
(Couldn't resist posting this...)

kimble

Veteran
Very much so. Also Knipex pliers, Things for the fettling of. Not only on one's own machine.

I'll happily endorse Knipex products, but through some terrible omission - while I own a couple of different wire cutters (electronics, for the fettling of) - I don't have any of their pliers.

It's certainly true that my tools and spares have come in more useful for fettling other people's machines than my own. This is probably due to general paranoia, but also because cyclists never carry lockring tools or adjustable spanners because they're heavy and probably won't be needed. Guess what my most-used roadside tool is?

kimble

Veteran
Hopefully neither myself nor anyone else at the cutting edge of road bike gearing will need an 11 speed quick link, let alone three of them. But they'll be in the tool bag if needed.

Pretty much guarantees someone with a <11sp transmission will have chronic chain problems, doesn't it? I'm reminded of the YACF tunnel ride a few years ago where andrewc's 8sp chain got progressively shorter throughout the ride, where most of the rest of us were on 9sp.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Sooo ... just found my rear gear cable is fraying under the BB. I've ordered a spare, but if it doesn't arrive and get fitted in time I may be Bromptoning.

The worst time to order stuff is on a bank holiday ( esp when it's urgent ) ship to store is the better option

mmmmartin

Random geezer
fettling other people's machines
A happy time was once spent by the road with Greg OTP fettling a bike owned by @jiberjaber - we had such fun removing the caessette because the chain had become jammed behind it, then fixing it all and then - the icing on the cake - using magic links to repair the chain which broke a while later. By the time we reached Shoreham airport some had eaten breakfast and left for home. So -a NextBestThing2 is always a useful thing to have in the bag.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Well, the Johns have it, but nice to see the Jennys and Rachels in contention.

Adrian C
Alex K
Amy L
Andrew F
Ashley N
Ausra D
Belinda S
Brian D
Charlie B
Dan T
Eleanor H
Elisabetta M
Elliott F
Geoff S
Greg T
Greg C
Guy R
Habib A
Hedley K
Ian A
Jakub B
James C
Jeff K
Jenny H
Jenny M
John M
John M
John G
Josh E
Kate H
Katherine O
Kevin L
Kim C
Kristjan K
Luca G
Nick B
Nick L
Nigel C
Patrick M
Perham H
Peter D
Rachel R
Rachel L
Rahul E
Richard M
Rob M
Ross C
Sarah T
Sonia W
Stephen O
Stuart A
Sylvia M
Thom J
Thomas M
Tim D
Tony R

Tim Hall

A happy time was once spent by the road with Greg OTP fettling a bike owned by @jiberjaber - we had such fun removing the caessette because the chain had become jammed behind it, then fixing it all and then - the icing on the cake - using magic links to repair the chain which broke a while later. By the time we reached Shoreham airport some had eaten breakfast and left for home. So -a NextBestThing2 is always a useful thing to have in the bag.
That was me, not The Grumpy One. I think we managed some breakfast too.

Top Bottom