FNRttC Whitstable Edition: Friday 6 April 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Sooo ... just found my rear gear cable is fraying under the BB. I've ordered a spare, but if it doesn't arrive and get fitted in time I may be Bromptoning.

Bugger, today I also needed to replace the rear brake cable, had issues for a while and almost came down to it being the derailleur. Lbs put a new inner and outer on and said chain was also a bit short. This annoyed me as the last place that investigated said they took a couple of links out. Got it up in the stand at home and yes it was short so added a link back in.shifts well again.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A handy tip for anyone planning to travel via London on their return train: check out return fares to Whitstable before buying your tickets. Have found that a Fratton-Whitstable return with Network Railcard (or equivalent discount) (£44.55) works out cheaper than Fratton-London return plus Whitstable-London single (£27.65; £15.80 for Victoria, £20.00 for St Pancras on HS1- advance fares are cheaper but you'd have to be on a booked train and buy tomorrow). And that return includes HS1 services....I might ride to Rochester to complete the ton, but that still works out nearly the same price with a single...

Trickedem

Guru
I've just checked the start list. I can confirm there will be Victorian Sponge and bread pudding. #knowyourcustomers

Last edited:

kimble

Veteran
The Brompton is the unofficial bike of the FNRttC, and there are usually a fold of hardy Bromptoneers on the rides. I keep saying that one day I'll do the Brighton ride on mine (on account of it being relatively short and hilly, which would seem to be the least worst conditions for a Brommie), but I need to be fit enough that I won't spend the whole ride swearing about it being a stupid idea and that I should have brought a proper bike.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Bromptons are a brilliant solution to things like avoiding getting your bike nicked and BloodyTrains, but far from ideal for rides of more than an hour or two.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Just thinking of ease of getting back. I do have other bikes but trains into London can be busy on a Sat.
The Mk I winning smile works wonders getting a bike onto a crowded train. I've done lots of Whitstable rides with a Proper Bike and haven't had any train trouble.

Top Bottom