FNRttC Whitstable Edition: Friday 6 April 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
I run the tyres it came with which I think are marathon like.
you'll be fine on a Brompton a man of your calibre! I have only done one FNRTTC on my Brompton and suffered one of the only punctures I have ever had on a night ride. Unfortunately I didn't have a clue how to remove the rear wheel and had to call for help from some other Bromptoneers. I have since learnt how to fix rear wheel Brompton punctures.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've just checked the start list. I can confirm there will be Victorian Sponge and bread pudding. #knowyourcustomers
Bread pudding? That's magic. Just the thing for carb loading for the sprint challenge.
Be warned, ladies and gents, anyone who gets the last bit of Victoria sponge before a certain Jamaican person has had some risks a kick in the shins....

StuAff

And the answer to long distances on a folding bike is of course......something with 20" wheels and lots of gears ;)

kimble

Veteran
Brilliant until something goes wrong with them on a dark and rainy night.

This is mostly about adequate preparation. Whatever you're riding, you need the right tools and spares, and to know how to use them. But the Brompton 3-speed hub doesn't half complicate puncture repairs, as to a lesser extent do the annoyingly non-quick-release brakes.

Of course, in normal circumstances, a folding bike lends itself to jump-on-a-train/bus/taxi-and-sort-it-out-later tactics.

StuAff

Today I have been mostly riding an ICE Sprint RS :smile:
Chutney has proved a most excellent long distance ride. The titanium one and the carbon one remain the centurions of choice, but the folding one still makes me grin every time I ride it..

Trickedem

Guru
Bread pudding? That's magic. Just the thing for carb loading for the sprint challenge.
Be warned, ladies and gents, anyone who gets the last bit of Victoria sponge before a certain Jamaican person has had some risks a kick in the shins....
IMG_20180405_1034.jpg

Mr Orange

Small wheels or big wheels we’re all on the same team. It’s Friday and an adventure to be had later today!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
If your want a folder that behaves like a big bike have a look at an Airnimal. EBay found me one that did very good service as a commuter bike. It doesn't fold anywhere near as quickly, or a small, as a Brompton but it rides like a racer. The folding takes a couple of minutes rather than 10 seconds, but it will get you through the barrier at a London railway station during the bike ban hours.
The downside is the cost, getting on for two grand for a new one. Hence eBay.

Trickedem

Guru
Victoria Sponge lover here. I'd like to request the equivalent of half a cake is set aside for me, please and thanks. Yes, I will fight anyone who even thinks about waving sticky/oily mitts in its direction :boxing::hello::hungry:
The Victoria Sponges are being made solely for you. You may of course share what's left

kimble

Veteran
Ignore them and buy one.

Indeed. Bromptons are lovely. I just think they're rubbish for long rides. But bear in mind I think anything with a saddle is rubbish for long rides, so it's mostly not the Brompton's fault.

StuAff's point about the 20" Dahon is valid though. They're much better bikes for riding, while Bromptons are much better bikes for folding. Which is best depends what you're using it for, doesn't it?

(And the ICE Sprint is an armchair on wheels with lots of gears that technically folds. You wouldn't reliably get one on a train at any time of day, though, because TOCs are disablist bastards. Hence you tend not to see many of them on Fridays rides.)

Mr Orange

‘I just think they’re rubbish for long rides.’ One could go off people you know.

Near the end when we reach Faversham, should the mood take me, I fancy I may arrive at breakfast before some on larger wheels as the lone and level sands stretch far away...

Top Bottom