Who’s done a Shirley Valentine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As so often, a thread by a woman about going away on one's own and how it can change a person's life has been hijacked by men. Men who clearly have no idea what Shirley Valentine was really about.
What was shirley valentine about?

Do tell.

I cannot help but think that the OP, a woman I think, knows, has seen the film, and tapped in the thread title of her own free empowered will.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'm pretty sure that @vickster and @Saluki aren't blokes. :whistle:

As for me I love Touring/Backpacking on me todd.
If I am a bloke, I think that my BF would leave me PDQ.
I am all woman:girl:

subaqua

What’s the point
Your tagline under your sig. And the NoW historical fondness for titillating brits over their sunday cereals with dangled debauchery followed by "i made my excuses and left"

3 months ago I probably would have took them up on offer . Me doing a similar sort of thing nearly wrecked my marriage .. so was good to have the strength to say . No sorry , thanks but no thanks .

Which is probably what SV should have done in the play( which I think we have a copy of ) and film of the play

From an internet review
Costas promises not to try to seduce her, while nonetheless bolstering her self-confidence in her own attractiveness.

As Shirley prepares for the trip, Jane returns and begs for forgiveness for abandoning her; Jane is then stunned to find that Shirley has made plans on her own and will be going out with Costas imminently. Enjoying the day out, Shirley decides to swim in the sea; lacking a swimsuit she swims naked instead with Costas joining her in the water. She realises that she doesn't want Costas to keep his promise. They kiss and later on the boat have very intense sex.

So yes doing a Shirley Valentine has a lot of meaning .. but she does indeed cheat in her marriage .. based on personal experience not a great idea with hindsight but at the time seems great .

Last edited:

Freds Dad

Veteran
I’ve got a weekend off coming up, I’ve booked my flights & accommodation...just trying to decide what I want to do. Read...sunbathe...check out the local sight seeing....sleep!

Anyone else been on holiday alone?

It all depends on where you are going and what you want to do as a weekend can go very quickly but enjoy yourself and stay safe.

I did something similar after I got divorced. I spend four weeks in Portugal which just happened to coincide with the European football championships. I had tickets for a few matches and as I long as I was in the town where the match was being played on the day I literally took it one day at a time and enjoyed a combination of sunbathing, sightseeing and travelling.

subaqua

What’s the point
Perhaps you should post a photo if you’re such an Adonis. Then we’ll be able to judge whether your worth doing a Shirley over... :whistle:

You know already big boy :whistle:

And that’s the thing . I am not what would be classed as particularly handsome .

Fair do's subacqua.

Be careful what you post here on in.

I was once invited into a threesome.

In southern climes.

Coulsden :smile:

I did in that instance make my excuses and left/was walked back to the station, asked not to mention it at work the next morning.

All the best (honest, not being sarky)

Tin Pot

Guru
As so often, a thread by a woman about going away on one's own and how it can change a person's life has been hijacked by men. Men who clearly have no idea what Shirley Valentine was really about.

So, whilst I am confused and intrigued by the first ‘threesome post’ on CC I can recall, lets bring it back on track.

Independence.

Striking off on your own isn’t easy, and there are risks to consider, but it’s like - and forgive me - riding a bike. The first time you push off without stabilisers, without Mum or Dad’s arms waiting to catch you, can be perturbing.

But once you do you realise it’s easy. And then, later, it’s not about being on your own.

I think jefmcg and others will agree, it’s about the little adventures, the people you meet, the strange things you find, it’s not about solitude at all.

It’s not all good, and you find that other solo travellers aren’t always honourable people - that’s something I would bear in mind - more than the native people.

MarkF

Guru
I go on holiday alone every year, I like my own space and company once in a while, MrsF doesn't like it much. It's not as if I go on the lash in Benidorm, it'll usually be short cycling break or City break taking in a football match. I am sociable normally but on these holidays I just mooch about by myself and I really enjoy them. Of course, we have a main holiday together.

I've always encouraged MrsF to do the same but she hasn't seemed interested, however last October we met in Seville, she'd traveled down on the train via Barcelona having spent 3 days there, the first time she'd done anything like that alone. She said she really enjoyed it and is off again on her own, going cycling in the Texel Islands in June to avoid the World Cup. :smile:

OP, relaxing, reading and sleeping, sounds a great holiday to me.

Is he on here then?
Not as far as I know, but from posts above objecting to the interpretation of the title (and by the by the dots in the post could be seen as referring back to it) in an international hijack you have I think appointed yourself as his agent. And were going to tell us what Shirley Valentine is about. Cos we had all missed the point.

What's it all about?

Don't recall a shirley valentine experience myself, possibly a few close shaves/missed opportunities as I have quite often travelled alone, work stopovers, short solo breaks. I like doing it, and don't ruin it with selfie posts.

Last edited:
Am not aware of anyone on here of whatever gender bragging about being a magnet.

Yes the thread is ungendered. As in "anyone" in the original post.

}}}Men who clearly have no idea what Shirley Valentine was really about

At the risk of this becoming an o level lit crit class I am still intrigued by this statement. And an implication that the male gender cannot read/read a film.

I have vague good memories of the film and must try and catch up with it again if it comes up on telly.

And yes as was pointed out above Tom Conti's agent deserves a gong for getting his client into the role :smile:

Top Bottom