Who’s done a Shirley Valentine?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
There seems to be some confusion. When I mentioned a thread hijack and lack of understanding, I wasn't referring to all the men in the universe, just some of the ones who constantly feel the need to butt in and crow about what a babe magnet they are. Up until that point, the thread was going fine, good natured and yes, ungendered.

Think you might have lost track a bit . It happens to people .

Point is ...
Shirley was a rather naughty girl ... don’t do it however tempted you are because you think grass is greener .. it isn’t

However you want to imagine what the story was about , even if it’s about self discovery , that should be a no .

And it’s easy to get sucked into things you really shouldn’t .

Dont think it happens to plain , boring people . Yes it does . That’s another point about doing a Shirley . Who it happens and how ..

Tim Hall

Anyway, when are we going to talk about stretch marks?

It’s not all good, and you find that other solo travellers aren’t always honourable people - that’s something I would bear in mind - more than the native people.
Interesting tinpot. Tales to tell? May be useful for the fox.

Ps, just noticed that luckyfox doesn't seem to say where she is flying to. Apologies if have missed it. And my client Mr Conti would like to point out that he doesn't just do Greek.

Last edited:
And yes as was pointed out above Tom Conti's agent deserves a gong for getting his client into the role :smile:
I don't think his agent invented the idea that any "foreigner" can play any other foreigner in a English language movie. Even the idea that anyone who doesn't look Scandinavian can play a Greek was well established by Anthony "Zorba" Quinn. And it's exciting to see how the casting of the Anna's Thai King is moving closer and closer to Bangkok with each major production, with Rex Harrison (nb not a foreigner, but with a little squinting, you'd never know) born 6000 miles away, then Yul Brynner born less than 3000 miles away and most excitingly, Chow Yun Fat coming from less than 1000 miles away. Compared to that, a Scot-Italian is Greek.

subaqua

What’s the point
Well there’s obviously some very stupid women too . We had a discussion in work about the film and all the ladies commented on the later half .

Nice to see the professionally judgemental all on high horse tho . Speaks volumes .

subaqua

What’s the point
Oh dear... the self-proclaimed Adonis seems to get all snarky when the little ladies don’t simper winsomely at his every utterance. :rolleyes:

No you proclaimed that . Not me . Or do you forget what you post . I said I am nothing of the sort , which is why you couldn’t remember me .

But age does that ...

subaqua

What’s the point
Of course there are, yes.

Yes , and based on comments from a few months back on a post where I posted verbatim mg Wife’s response to a post some people think she is ..

So are you going to answer Blue Hills or are you going to bluster and blow and ignore the question.

Love the judging ...
I'm not judging, it's just not the message of the film.

And the message wasn't everyone should go to Greece and sleep with Tom Conti. It was what SV needed, not some sort of panacea for all.

It's not what you needed, and I'm glad you found that out before it was too late - but have you never known an unhappy couple that would clearly be better apart, but neither of them have the courage to leave?

As for @luckyfox, I can attest to the restorative powers of a fwb/nsa arrangement - when you are ready - after an unexpected and/or unwelcome break up, but I can't tell you how the safely navigate it on a weekend away.

OP
OP
luckyfox

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
My travel info came through today, flying out next weekend. Kind of excited & bit scared. Realised this may not have been the best time to swan off around the world but also thinking this is just what I need.
Anyone been to Malaga before??

OP
OP
luckyfox

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
[QUOTE 5123072, member: 259"]Yes, it's really nice. It won't be very warm though. The moorish palaces are great. No problems finding decent places to eat either. It's Spain.[/QUOTE]
Funnily enough i’ve already picked out a nice place to eat by the beach. It still amazes me that I can see a menu & book a table online.
There’s a fruit & veg market near where I’m staying so that makes me happy.
I’m just more excited about the concept of taking a backpack & disapearing off for a few days.
I know a much younger version of me waited a really long time to do this.
It’s quite apt the situation I’m in that I can just up & leave.
Life falls into place right after someone shakes the snow globe.

Top Bottom