who are pavements for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snailracer

Über Member
Pavements are for pedestrians only unless otherwise stated. Simples.
In Bristol city centre, the council appears to have deliberately blurred sections of pavement that are pedestrian-only with sections that are shared. I wonder what the psychology is for that?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
In Bristol city centre, the council appears to have deliberately blurred which bits of pavement are pedestrian- only, and which are shared.
How do you mean "blured"?

Pavements are for pedestrians only unless otherwise stated. Simples.

But there must be some rationale behind deciding what bits of pavement are suitable for sharing and which not. Any clue what it is because I can't divine it from observing both? And what makes pedestrians capable of sharing on one and incapable on the other?

Ah who gives a monkey's... there's a long stretch of pavement between Morecambe and Lancaster which I've always cycled down. A couple of years ago they made it a shared use path as it's wide and next to a very busy road, so i guess i was in the right all along :whistle:

No, you misunderstand. One day you were being an irresponsible severe danger to pedestrians using the pavement and the next you were no problem. Its those blue signs - they have a magical effect like that.

snailracer

Über Member
There are brass bike symbols inlaid into the pavement at junctures - very hard to see and quite ambiguous with respect to which stretch of pavement it actually applies to. No blue signs or lines on the pavement.

I cannot answer your question as it is the council who decides when cyclists can use pavements.

But surely from experience and observation you must have observed some differences in characteristics that makes some suitable for sharing and some not.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
In London as long as you can make the argument that you felt the road was far too dangerous to cycle on and if you cycle safely on the pavement then you wi be fine.
There was an agreement with the mayor and head of the met.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There are brass bike symbols inlaid into the pavement at junctures - very hard to see and quite ambiguous with respect to which stretch of pavement it actually applies to. No blue signs or lines on the pavement.

Whereabouts are you talking about ... I must admit to relying on the Cycle City map (which I know isn't 100% accurate) rather than the local signage.

You are all so naive...

Shared facility pavements and cycle tracks, or pedestrian specific pavements are NOT for the use of pedestrians or cyclists - they are in fact:

Car parks!

DSCF0529.jpg

Coach Parks!

LeDivenah1.jpg

It always amuses me that people (quite rightly) get upset about cyclists on pavements, but never ever have a problem with the endemic abuse by motorists.... does the OP never ever see this?

It can also be confusing and difficult to know what is and isn't a cycle facility.

In Gosport cycle facilities are designated by "red"pavements

In adjacent Lee on Solent, the pavement by the promenade is NOT a cycle facility - but the same colour as the designated areas in Gosport

As a result you get a lot of "offenders" who are making a logical, but flawed assumption.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Between BRI and horsefair, for example.

Cycle on the road on the cycle contraflow ... apart from the bits where you have to go up on the pavements at the traffic lights... you are right there is a bike sign imprinted in the pavement. I think pedestrians are used to seeing cyclists as there is a constant flow of them there. Doesn't stop them standing on the bike symbol at the traffic light though :biggrin: .

Stu669

Ok yes cyclists who use pavements can be a sore area because there will always be arguments on both sides but when we get a cycle path why do peds choose to walk in it? Also why do cars park in cycle lanes? If we are expected to be 3rd rate on the road from motorists and peds hate us, when the gov actually gives us a cycle path why cam peds and motorists get in our way?

Top Bottom